Backup with EZ Sync really slow

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Kojak
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup with EZ Sync really slow

Post by Kojak »

Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to let you know that I am far from being an expert in NAS (Network-Attached Storage)...
I recently installed an Asustor Drivestor 2 AS1102T NAS and set up 2 WD Red 4TB hard drives in RAID1 configuration.
The purpose is to back up my photography work in a safe place.
I'm using the EZ Sync application to synchronize a folder from my Windows 10 computer to the NAS, but I find the transfer speed extremely slow.
In one night, I copied 100GB, and I have 1TB left to copy... Needless to say, it's not going to work...
What's strange is that manual folder copying over the network is much faster.
I managed to copy everything in just a few hours.
How can I improve my backup system? Are there any settings I can change, or is there a more efficient alternative to EZ Sync?
My Drivestor is connected on an 2,5ghz ethernet port on my router.

Thank you in advance, and have a good Sunday.
Nazar78

Re: Backup with EZ Sync really slow

Post by Nazar78 »

1. Probably you're using the wrong app for this task? EZ Sync is more of a versioning software like SVN. For backups try ADM Backup Plan.

2. You mentioned you have the NAS connected to a 2.5Gbps port on your router. How many 2.5Gbps ports does your router have? Most consumer grade router only comes with one 2.5Gbps so you'll need a 2.5Gbps switch to connect multiple 2.5Gbps devices.

3. To utilize your 2.5Gbps links, use your local IP (i.e. 192.168.1.x) instead of public IP (i.e. DDNS). This is because I believe your WAN link is only 1Gbps? If it is and you connect using DDNS, it will route using your DNAT via 1Gbps instead of 2.5Gbps. Also ensure any intermediate links such as a switch supports 2.5Gbps else they'll fall back to the lowest link i.e. 1Gbps.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”