Upgrade two volumes concurrently

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

gunter_h
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Upgrade two volumes concurrently

Post by gunter_h »

I have an AS6604T and an AS6004-U expansion box.

The main box has a RAID 5 Volume 1 on 4x2TB, the expansion box has a RAID 5 Volume 33 on 4x4TB.

I am upgrading Volume 33 to 4x6TB, the first disk is swapped out and only about 16 hours remaining to sync.

I want to upgrade Volume 1 to 4x4TB using the old disks from Volume 33.

Is it advisable to do this concurrently, i.e. take the first disk removed from Volume 33 and start upgrade of Volume 1? Should I wait until all 4 disks are synchronized? Or until the volume is expanded?

CPU load is 35% while performing the sync
orion

Re: Upgrade two volumes concurrently

Post by orion »

Theoretically, it's fine to upgrade 2 volumes at the same time. But I did not try it before.
gunter_h

Post by gunter_h »

My experiences trying this:

It is possible to upgrade two volumes concurrently. If one is planning to re-use the disks from the larger volume to upgrade the smaller volume as in my case, doing so reduces the amount of fiddling with mount screws.

The sync speeds vary greatly. The internal bays run at 160MB/s, the expansion bays only a 60MB/s. Also, sync of one volume may be delayed until the sync of the other volume has been completed.

Syncing a 6TB into a 4x4TB RAID in the expansion box takes 17 hours, syncing a 4TB into a 4x1TB RAID in on internal bay only about 90 minutes.
gunter_h

Post by gunter_h »

After disk replacement was completed for both volumes, "expand volume" sync is running concurrently. This is much faster than the volume replacement sync

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”