Raid 10 Volume 1 Inaccessible Error System Failure

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

knightvision
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Raid 10 Volume 1 Inaccessible Error System Failure

Post by knightvision »

Restarted my server last week after doing a my archive backup and upon restart, my main volume RAID 10 (6x8tb ironwolf drives) is showing error system failure volume 1 inaccessible.

All of the individual drives are showing as inactive and I have done smart scan and bad block scans on all of them with no errors.

I have tried the following:

Restarting the server
updating ADM (won't download)
SSH into the server to check MDADM but it is not showing an MD1 partition at all. Only MD0 and MD126

I REALLY hope my volume can be repaired as it has a LOT of valuable data on it. I have backups of everything on separate drives off site but not in the same file structure and it will take ages to get everything back to where it needs to be.

Asustor support has been very slow in replying and it's been almost a week with not even a reply to say they've looked at the unit.

Any suggestions are VERY welcome!

Nazar78

Re: Raid 10 Volume 1 Inaccessible Error System Failure

Post by Nazar78 »

Try assemble the array manually, boot from live USB if need to. If success, do read my experience recovering the OS or data. https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=240&t=12860 Else you can off load the data to external location.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
knightvision

Post by knightvision »

This is so far outside of my comfort zone to do myself. I saw your thread already and "kind of" understood it. I assume I am to boot a linux os off the usb stick on the nas, and then assemble the raid manually there and then reboot the nas without the usb and the raid will be assembled?
knightvision

Post by knightvision »

Unfortunately my lockerstor 8 doesn't have HDMI so I wouldn't be able to access it
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Just reassembling the array in live USB doesn't automatically fix the issue. You'll need to fix the config file as mentioned in my post in the previous link. This is also provided the array is healthy to begin with.

I'm not sure about your Lockerstor, but if it can boot via USB (prepared with SSH enabled), you can try find out its assign IP to SSH into the NAS.

Actually for now you can skip the USB boot and just SSH normally into the NAS to try fix it.

If you're not comfortable doing this, I would suggest ask someone knowledgeable to assist you remotely or wait for Asustor Support's reply.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”