It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:21 am
All times are UTC + 8 hours

Raid 5 upgrading one drive procedure

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Raid 5 upgrading one drive procedure

Postby justtrippin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:57 am

I currently have 3 drives I want to set up raid 5, 2-14tb and 1-4tb. I am going to get one more 14tb drive in a few months but wanted to get started setting up the NAS as plex media server. I know that the current set up would be based on the smallest drive so I would have a capacity of 8 tb with the current three drives. My question is when I change out the one 4tb drive to a 14tb drive does the system give me an option to only switch that drive or do I have to pull the current 14tb drives and reinsert them one by one in this upgrade process as well? The examples given in asustor documentation NAS 352 do not show or give that much detail and it appears you would have to switch all 3 drives in the raid 5 config. My NAS model is an AS5304T-EAO1 running ADM 3.5.2.rag2.
justtrippin

Re: Raid 5 upgrading one drive procedure

Postby orion » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:23 am

You'll need to replace one disk first (don't shutdown) and wait for synchronization. After done, replace another one. Repeat it till you replace all 3 disks. As you see, it should take long time. After done, go to ADM web page to expand the volume size.
orion

Return to Backup and Data Protection