AS5102 Lost volumes

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Jakusonfire
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS5102 Lost volumes

Post by Jakusonfire »

I have a an AS5102 that was configured with two disks and one volume for each disk. One of the drives has failed so i have ordered another but I have noticed that both volumes have stopped being detected and it wants me to create a new one on the good disk that should have a couple TB of stuff on it.

Is this normal? If I had known that one disk failure could kill both I would have had better backup. Irronically I had the dead disk backed up because it was much older than the good disk which is almost new.

Is there any way to recover the volume on the surviving drive?

Thanks for any advice
orion

Re: AS5102 Lost volumes

Post by orion »

It's not right definitely: one disk failure will kill another disk. There should be something wrong with the second disk.
Did you reboot your NAS to see if your "good volume" is still working?
Jakusonfire

Re: AS5102 Lost volumes

Post by Jakusonfire »

orion wrote:It's not right definitely: one disk failure will kill another disk. There should be something wrong with the second disk.
Did you reboot your NAS to see if your "good volume" is still working?
Thanks for replying Orion, you saved me from a lot of fiddling around. I had downloaded linux mint because I read about a way to mount the drive and read the files from it but after your suggestion i want back to the NAS that i had powered down so nothing else could go wrong while I sorted this out and it just powered up normally and the volume is perfectly fine.
I don't know what happened because I'm sure i did reboot it when I took the dead drive out but maybe it just needed a second one.

I feel a bit silly not having immediately done the "turn it off and back on" but the 'failure' it was demonstrating was alarming enough I guess.

Anyway, lesson learned and your help is very much appreciated.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”