rsync - timeout connection between 2 asustors

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

stepanst248
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

rsync - timeout connection between 2 asustors

Post by stepanst248 »

Hi,

I tried rsync 2 asustors (AS104T-1D3E, AS602T-65DB) where AS602 should synchronize data from AS104T.

That's why I followed
https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=259

I can not go over the step 3 to "2.2 Create an Rsync Backup Task on Local ASUTOR NAS" where I can not log in to other asustor (I have a timeout error message).

I tried to create a new user and connect to it by another asustor at rsync user name (create a new backup task), but I got same error.

Both asustor are connected into the internet. And all devices are connected to the switch netgear. So I guess the problem is not wrong port.

Any idea what I can do wrong?
orion

Re: rsync - timeout connection between 2 asustors

Post by orion »

I can rsync without problems. You may be able to test it on the same NAS first. I mean, after create RSync server in ADM web -> Services, create a RSync task under Backup & Restore. You can specify the same IP address of the NAS. If it works, the failure (remote NAS) might be caused by your network environment.
sksbir

Re: rsync - timeout connection between 2 asustors

Post by sksbir »

hi
among the wonderful hidden features provided by asustor, we will find the fact that the discovery of the remote server when creating a backup task via rsync is not done in a secure protocol (encrypted transmission) but in a basic rsync protocol. The ports for rsync must therefore be opened to create backup tasks, even if we have decided to use only rsync over ssh.

Once you have successfully created your backup tasks, you will discover other wonders, such as the fact that some backups freeze in secure mode and work perfectly in non-secure mode...

good luck

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”