How to

Who doesn't love third-party apps? Get together and talk about them here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dhstsw
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How to

Post by dhstsw »

Hi there,

could a good soul write a post for linux newbies as me about:

-How to install the toolchain.
-How to compile.

(on Ubuntu 12)?

:)
AS-304T
If you own a series 2/3/6 Asustor it's very likely you won't get XBMC 13.x/Kodi.
But easily you'll end buying a kitchen from UK.
alpha137

Re: How to

Post by alpha137 »

I have to admit that would be really helpfull.

I also have downloaded the toolchain from asustor developer site but the documentation is not at all beginners friendly and cut out for the experienced developer (which is for sure their target community).

I fail event to create an package file with the apkg-tools.py from a package I installed and copied the folder for testing.

If anyone could provide some links where to start reading, would be great.

For example I would like to compile pycurl 2.7 for Asustor, but have really no idea where to start as I already fail to succeed compiling the library under ubuntu 14 with pip install command.

Thanks
AS-204TE, ADM 2.4.2.RIG1
Ubuntux

Post by Ubuntux »

Currently im trying to learn too.. I have been told to use Ubuntu 12.10 by Asustor support.. Weird they dont make the script work in 14.04 since its the latest LTS, but we can hope for 16.04....

But i do agree.. its not that simple..
AS-604T & AS-202T
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

Well, as i thought, no help whatsoever.

Instead of compiling and redistribuite for everyone PowerDNS i'll keep using the one on raspberry and that's all.

Thanks to the whole community.
AS-304T
If you own a series 2/3/6 Asustor it's very likely you won't get XBMC 13.x/Kodi.
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

I wouldn't mind helping out, but it's quite problematic to teach this to anyone who is unwilling to get their hands dirty and do the research. Maybe one day I'll try to provide detailed instructions on how to get started, but that day is not today. Personally I don't even use the toolchains Asustor provides, I built my own for Gentoo.

To compile a c file is fairly straight forward (example for arm):

Code: Select all

tar xvzpf arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi.tar.gz
./arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi-gcc hello-world.c -o hello-world
Congrats, you've built a hello-world program that works on Asustor ARM platforms.

Now the real problem comes in building packages, you have to tell their makefiles/build-systems to use the asustor toolchain for building. And even this isn't always straight-forward, programs might have tests that fail when you are cross-compiling and things are not behaving as you'd expect, and in these cases you need the know-how (or willingness to research) on how to fix them.

Compiling a simple project that has a Makefile (might work):

Code: Select all

PATH="${PATH}:/path/to/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi/bin"

cd /path/to/project/source
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi-
... and the list goes on. I use Gentoo as my build machine for one simple reason, once I have my Gentoo build-environment up-and-running I can install most packages at ease (portage takes care of most of the heavy lifting).

This is just a tiny intro, if you really, truly, want to start building apps for Asustor, you're going to have to get your hands real dirty (especially if you're not comfortable around the unix environment) :).

PS. You might for example take a look at how Optware uses the toolchains https://github.com/boretom/optware

Cheers,
Mathias
Last edited by mafredri on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

Also, If it's any comfort, I was as lost as you guys before I started; and frustrated about the lack of documentation on how to do it. I'm still no cross-compiling wizard, but since I took my own path (skipped the Asustor toolchain) I've learnt a lot about building a cross-compilation toolchain. That in turn means that it's harder for me to instruct you guys.
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

Thanks Mathias, i'll have a try.

;)
AS-304T

Return to “Developer's Corner”