jQuery

Who doesn't love third-party apps? Get together and talk about them here.
zakspop
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

jQuery

Post by zakspop »

I found in another thread this link http://www.sitepoint.com/10-jquery-file ... r-plugins/ to several jQuery based File Managers. I really liked elFinder. The problem is is I know nothing about jQuery. I don't know if it is on the NAS already, if not, how to install it or if it is possible to install it. If it is installed how to instal elFinder to use it etc... You get the jist. Anyone interested in showing an old man how to set this up? The built in file manager has much to be desired. If I use my Macs finder it puts all kinds of hidden junk on my NAS. I've tried everything to prevent this too.
mkp

Re: jQuery

Post by mkp »

zakspop wrote:I found in another thread this link http://www.sitepoint.com/10-jquery-file ... r-plugins/ to several jQuery based File Managers. I really liked elFinder. The problem is is I know nothing about jQuery. I don't know if it is on the NAS already, if not, how to install it or if it is possible to install it. If it is installed how to instal elFinder to use it etc... You get the jist. Anyone interested in showing an old man how to set this up?
I don't know this particular plugin (but I have worked with jQuery). Basically jQuery is a higher-level language to use JavaScript (internally it is just native JavaScript, but it provides a library to use that more efficiently). Since it's JavaScript which runs inside a web browser, the way you'd use it would be to create a simple web app (for instance with PHP running on Apache) where you'd embed the calls to the jQuery plugin inside a web page.

jQuery doesn't need to be on the web server (i.c. the NAS) - you can embed it by dynamically loading it from a CDN (Google has it for instance, and jQuery has one of its own as well). The plugin you might have to download (not all CDNs that have jQuery have all plugins) where it's accessible from a browser (i.e. inside your 'www' folder of the web server on your NAS).

You'd need to learn how to use jQuery in general (and maybe Apache and PHP as well, and HTML and CSS); every plugin comes with excellent documentation - but you'll need to know how to work with jQuery first. There are plenty of tutorials around, ask duckduckgo.com for 'jQuery tutorial' and see what you get.
AS-604T
4x WD Red 4TB in RAID 10
variable set of external USB HDs and USB flash drives (for syncing and backup)
zakspop

Re: jQuery

Post by zakspop »

Thanks! Unfortunately I think that is a bit beyond me right now. I don't have the time to invest in doing all of that. Again, Thanks!

Return to “Developer's Corner”