[update ... to OctoPrint 1.6.1] 3D printer console & management

Who doesn't love third-party apps? Get together and talk about them here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

father.mande
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

[update ... to OctoPrint 1.6.1] 3D printer console & management

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
=== will be updated soon ... due to 1.6.1 version

I am please to announce (a "niche" product) OctoPrint the most know 3D printer management and control tools

OctoPrint is generally provide on a RasberryPI ... BUT a NAS can open more perspective
NAS is build for 7/7 24/24 , support multiple users and large Data ... so can be a good target for small and medium 3D business ... even indivudual

3D printer can require very long time to complete a 3D print ... user can't stay in front hours ... so octoPrint permit to follow actions, know immediately error and with a webcam can have a look to the printer.

[Name]
octoprint
octoprint_enable.png
octoprint_enable.png (10.12 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
[Version]

[Install]
Using App. Central (just be patient it's large)

[prerequisite]
An X86_64 NAS (for the moment) with A.D.M. using kernel 4.14.x
A 3D printer supported by OctoPrint (have a look to octoprint web site)
OPTIONAL ... A Webcam supported by mjpg_streamer ( https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wik ... wn-to-work )

[Contents]
==== credits to all authors ... I don't change anything in the code
Octoprint (a python program) without pre-define configuration ... use port 5000 call from Web admin
mjpg_streamer a tool to stream in web page webcam ... use port 8090 to avoid conflict (can be changed)
CuraEngine a slicer to prepare print from 3D model file (STL)
Set of command specifically added to the NAS : (use a ssh with root / your_admin_password)
... octoprint (start, stop, restart, etc) at boot OctoPrint start automatically
... octoconf ... to change config file (port used, arguments for starting tolls, etc.)
... octosh to enter in the Ubuntu 18.04 L.T.S. environment use to isolate OctoPrint

... also a specific optional patch for Ender-3 and Ender-3 Pro to be able to use the printer SD card

[Documentation]
F.A.Q. will coming soon, but Octoprint is usable as is if you have a 3D printer and an USB cable .

[Download]
octoprint 1.3.12 : https://www.father-mande.ovh/A/apkg/oct ... x86-64.apk

[screen capture]
AS_with_octo.png
AS_with_octo.png (427.34 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
AS_OctoPrint.png
AS_OctoPrint.png (373.2 KiB) Viewed 9943 times
NB perhaps nobody (except me) use it ... but it's a good stylistic exercise :lol: :lol:
Philippe.
Last edited by father.mande on Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
vlotho

Re: [OctoPrint] 3D printer console & management

Post by vlotho »

Thank you so much,
I was just looking for a relay allowing me to display the status of my octoprint that I already had on my network, but I will test directly from the nas server :) thank you very much for the job.

by cons we can not access it from a mobile phone, it's a shame :)
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
vlotho wrote:Thank you so much,
I was just looking for a relay allowing me to display the status of my octoprint that I already had on my network, but I will test directly from the nas server :) thank you very much for the job.
by cons we can not access it from a mobile phone, it's a shame :)
It's a first try :roll: :roll: ... I will receive my 3D printer middle of November ... so I am a newbie in 3D printing
... I am running test on a new (more complete) version (also able to be use at an update of the actual version)

I have decide for this first shot to target LAN usage , so I don't add forward port facilities (risky because NOT encrypted) ... BUT
... you can access it remotely using all the method known for Asustor NAS :
1 add a manual upnp forwarding (ez-router) for port(s) use by Octoprint (and mjpg-streamer) 5000 and 8090 if you don't change it and use external I.P. / DNS name for mjpg-streamer URL inside Octoprint.
... so with a dynamic DNS or myasustor DDNS you can access it
OR
2 use as usual a SSH tunnel or a VPN connection (advantage is only one port (ssh or UDP (TCP) VPN) need to be forwarded. ... I always use this solution for my own usage ...

I will have to write a more clear documentation (for the moment I am registered only on a French 3D forum (lesimprimantes3d.fr and try to understand Octoprint complete usage)) etc . so, please be patient but ask any question here, I will try to have a response.

Philippe.
vlotho

Post by vlotho »

Hello Philippe,
Yes absolutely, I understand that it is experimental.
There, I am printing via the nas and there is no problem.
the remote access you describe is for external access via another pc, but via a phone I don't think it works.
The octoprint icon does not appear in the mobile interface on AiMaster and via a browser on mobile, the interface is not fully viewable.

Gilles
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
vlotho wrote:Hello Philippe,
Yes absolutely, I understand that it is experimental.
There, I am printing via the nas and there is no problem.
the remote access you describe is for external access via another pc, but via a phone I don't think it works.
The octoprint icon does not appear in the mobile interface on AiMaster and via a browser on mobile, the interface is not fully viewable.

Gilles
Thanks for feedback, I have only Android phone ... I will do a test A.S.A.P. and return my result.
Please, wait I am sorry for the delay BUT I works on other APKG (myHD + replacement for Asportal) and don't have a large time to run more test ... but I try as soon as possible.

Philippe.
Did you try with Printoid on Android phone ?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

In complement I can suggest you to try TouchUI OctoPrint plugin (install it through plugin manager)
... you can directly use in phone browser by adding #touch to the URL

Settings are local to the smartphone
link to a complete configuration (and understanding usage) : https://github.com/BillyBlaze/OctoPrint-TouchUI and https://plugins.octoprint.org/plugins/touchui/

A small phone is displayed (when installed and activated) on top left of browser OctoPrint page, you can test (even on a PC by switching to the new interface.

Just tested install and validation ... I will test later with my phone ... in OctoPrint you can configure how UI is automatically selected (on small resolution > 980 for ex.)

Philippe.
vlotho

Post by vlotho »

Hi father.mande,
To restart the server manually you must restart the nas?
We can do it in ssh, but suddenly when the terminal closes it will cut.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
vlotho wrote:Hi father.mande,
To restart the server manually you must restart the nas?
We can do it in ssh, but suddenly when the terminal closes it will cut.
No you never need to reboot the NAS (or only in very special requirement)
To manage octoprint you can use in terminal (root (not admin) your_admin_password) the command :
octoprint (start, restart, etc.) same as usual APKG start-stop.sh and Disable/Enable button in App Central
octosh ... to enter as root in the Ubuntu env. (ex. fro doing an apt-get update / upgrade) ... exit the bash shell in Ubuntu using exit command as usual you return in ADM ssh terminal.
octoconf ... to configure some parameters (ex. webcam parameters)

Code: Select all

[/volume1/.@root] # octoprint
Usage:
        /usr/local/bin/octoprint {start|stop|restart}
        /usr/local/bin/octoprint status (list all task running in octoprint env.)
        /usr/local/bin/octoprint clean_residual (DANGEROUS but clean all tasks and umount all mounted folder)
        /usr/local/bin/octoprint start_stream|stop_stream|restart_stream
[/volume1/.@root] # octoconf
Please use correct format

Usage :
/usr/local/bin/octoconf octoprint list ... list user and attached port (use by Octoprint GUI) in octoprint.param
/usr/local/bin/octoconf octoprint change USER_NAME PORT ... change the port attached to USER_NAME in octoprint.param
/usr/local/bin/octoconf octoprint add USER_NAME PORT ... add a USER (verified) and and a GUI PORT (if not exist)
/usr/local/bin/octoconf octoprint remove USER_NAME ... remove a USER
/usr/local/bin/octoconf octoprint share SHARE_NAME ... change or set shared folder (ADM with Octoprint) ex. : Public

/usr/local/bin/octoconf streamer list ... list all videoX parameters for /dev/videoX device associated to video4linux
/usr/local/bin/octoconf streamer change default "mjpg-streamer uvc video options" ... change DEFAULT option (if not defined) USE QUOTE to protect the space
            ex. : /usr/local/bin/octoconf streamer change default "input_uvc.so -d /dev/videoX -r 1280x720 -f 20" (videoX changed when used)
/usr/local/bin/octoconf streamer change videoX "mjpg-streamer uvc video options" ...  change videoX (0, 1, etc.) value for mjpg-streamer UVC options
            ex. : /usr/local/bin/octoconf streamer change video0 "input_uvc.so -d /dev/video1 -r 1280x720 -f 20" ... change UVC mjpg-streamer option for video1 device
/usr/local/bin/octoconf streamer clean videoX  ... clean videoX (0, 1, etc.) value for mjpg-streamer UVC options
/usr/local/bin/octoconf streamer base_stream_port PORT  ... change the PORT used by streamer Web interface each stream add 1 to BASE_STREAM_PORT for extra device

[/volume1/.@root] #
sorry : "but suddenly when the terminal closes it will cut" ... I don't understand, please, can you explain more ?

I have some problem for now, due to the lost of my Asustor NAS (I will try to restart it and to rebuild my data ... ) so ,please, be patient for some responses (and tests), I will finish the port on AS1002 (arm) to be able to follow my integration.
To complicating the problem ... I am in travel up to end of next week.

Philippe.
vlotho

Post by vlotho »

Hi Philippe,

no, it's just that I don't remember any more than deactivating/reactivating the module in the AppCental that will restart the server (octoprint).
In terms of "but suddenly when the terminal closes it will cut", when you start the server in an ssh terminal, if the server (octoprint) is running and you close the terminal, the server ( octoprint) is stopped automatically. that's what I was trying to say.
Thanks Philippe.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
vlotho wrote:if the server (octoprint) is running and you close the terminal, the server ( octoprint) is stopped automatically. that's what I was trying to say.
Thanks Philippe.
It's a bug ... I will check
Philippe.

Return to “Developer's Corner”