Looking for advice to setup BitWarden_rs

Who doesn't love third-party apps? Get together and talk about them here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MrZap
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Looking for advice to setup BitWarden_rs

Post by MrZap »

I'm trying to setup bitWarden on my AS5304T. I have gotten the service up and running on Docker/Portainer and I can access the bitWarden service from a browser on the local network when I override the "invalid" security certificate. However iPhone or Android apps need access over a secure connection and I'm assuming a valid certificate is key part of the solution to getting these clients working. While there are walk throughs for other NAS brands, I could not find any resources for setting this up on Asustor.

One thought was to avoid opening a port in the router and just allow connections to the server while the client is on the local network but from what I gather, getting a certificate to work just behind the firewall requires advanced skills. So using an external certificate, how will it work for clients on the local network? Do the clients connect by going outside and then back in?

Can anyone provide advice on the safest way to complete the rest of the setup?

From my understanding through reading guides for other NAS brands, I need to:
1. Setup a DDNS
2. Create reverse proxy rules (What does this mean?)
3. Setup Let's Encrypt ACME client to provide a certificate
4. Setup firewall instructions on my router to allow a connection from outside the router (I use an ASUS router which I understand creates a confict on port 80 that I need to deal with)
5. Setup firewall instructions on my NAS firewall to protect the NAS

I read that ez-connect will not accomodate secure connections so does this mean I need to setup a different DDNS like Duck DNS?
Do I have the rest of the steps right?
The bitWarden text on the Asustor app page refers to "Self-hosted Environment section in the Settings of Bitwarden clients". Where do I find this?
Patrick

Re: Looking for advice to setup BitWarden_rs

Post by Patrick »

The current version of VaultWarden (formerly Bitwarden_RS) default support HTTPS connection, but you need to make sure you have apply the DDNS and SSL certificate for your NAS and this DDNS.
You can refer to ASUSTOR College 324 for how o apply HTTPS certificate from Let's encrypt.
https://www.asustor.com/online/College_topic?topic=324

After the certificate is applied on your NAS, then the VaultWarden can be accessible from https://yourDDNS:32301 on your iPhone Bitwarden app. (I use this well on my Android phone with the App.)
AS3204T / AS6102T , ADM 4.0
AS5304T + kodi 18 => 4K 10bits videos, have a try...

Return to “Developer's Corner”