UPnP Media server issues

The UPnP AV Media Server app can turn your NAS into your home multimedia streaming server. As long as you have devices that support UPnP or DLNA (for example, SONY BRAVIA TV or PlayStation3), you can directly browse and stream the pictures, music and videos stored on your NAS.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

rimmerbsc
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

UPnP Media server issues

Post by rimmerbsc »

I have started using my new asustor 604t serving media, i have issues with it as i play movies on my television and it keeps pausing to with the loading every couple of minutes.

It cannot be my television as i still have my Netgear ready nas attached and never have an issue, i have also tried watching movies using the UPnP V2 and Plex media server and they also do this.

Its not the network as both the a604t and the ready nas are plugged into the same router as the television which is a gigabit router (netgear)

I am using both network points on the a604t and using link aggregation (load balance). I removed this and unplugged one of the cables and tried again this seemed to work. why does the Link aggregation affect video playback when you have 2 1Gigabit links rather than one, anyone have an insight?

cheers
aquarius

Re: UPnP Media server issues

Post by aquarius »

Hi,

I did not have the problem to discover the UPnP from TV.
When you setup the Link aggregation, you have to configure it on UPnP Setting too.
For example, In UPnP Server V2. You have to configure the Interface of Advance Setting page to Lagg1 if you had configure your NAS as link aggregation.

Have a nice day,
rimmerbsc

Post by rimmerbsc »

hi

I have steup the connection for the UPnP and UPnP V2 server are linked to the aggregation or when only configured to use 1 network connection to the active network connection LAN1.

My issue seems that when watching videos from my as604-T it keeps coming up loading every couple of minutes, while watching videos from my netgear does not have this issue, both NAS boxes are on a netgear gigabit router so it cannot be the router.

I have used both the UPnP and the UPnP V2 servers and both have this problem, i do not understand why.

anyone have any other ideas as i want to finish migrating to my asustor and sell my old netgear, until this issue is sorted i cannot finish the migration.

cheers
rimmerbsc

Post by rimmerbsc »

hi

finally got rid of link aggregation, if you use UPnP it causes problems, the only thing i can think of logically is that it causes problems with the DLNA server as i have just removed my second lan connection and stuck to just 1 it works okay, not sure if it will to the end of the video but with aggregation it would load the first few seconds then it starts loading (pauses and show loading on screen) I will update this if i still have a problem, if anyone has any other ideas i am open.

cheers
rimmerbsc

Post by rimmerbsc »

hi

no more answers, to be honest this is getting on my nerves, i dont understand why it continues to come up with loading all the time when streaming movies through my television (works fine with netgear readynas) it will get to a point where i get rid of the as604-t
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

I use link aggregation on my AS-608T and it plays back fine through all my PS3's I use for DLNA playback. It is possible that the netgear switch is the one having the issue having both links connected to it. I personally have LAN1 connected to my DLink router (gigabit) and LAN2 is on a downstream linksys gigabit switch where my ESX host lives. This gives my ESX server a local link without flooding my router that all the playback devices connect through (1 wired, 2 wifi PS3s, 3 laptops wifi). I saw someone mention that some switches may not support 803.ad link aggregation.
rimmerbsc

Post by rimmerbsc »

Auberon2k wrote:I use link aggregation on my AS-608T and it plays back fine through all my PS3's I use for DLNA playback. It is possible that the netgear switch is the one having the issue having both links connected to it. I personally have LAN1 connected to my DLink router (gigabit) and LAN2 is on a downstream linksys gigabit switch where my ESX host lives. This gives my ESX server a local link without flooding my router that all the playback devices connect through (1 wired, 2 wifi PS3s, 3 laptops wifi). I saw someone mention that some switches may not support 803.ad link aggregation.
Hi
I removed the Link Aggregation just to ensure its was not that causing a problem and still get issues using just the LAN1 connect with LAN2 unplugged.

Am just a peeved with this one little issue as it is preventing migrating. I dont have any of these issues with my readynas which is plugged into the same router.

To my mind it just appears that none of my media plays are allowing buffering or the link is slow (1 Gbit network link into a 1G Bit router) which should not be. I think i will have a further play with my router and modem and start fresh with all network cabels to see if something is causing issues with the A604T, anyone have any other suggestions please feel free to add them in.

Cheers
ho66es

Post by ho66es »

may be worth opening a fault ticket with asustor (if not already done) , they are usually quite fast in responding and very helpful.
608t
rimmerbsc

Post by rimmerbsc »

ho66es wrote:may be worth opening a fault ticket with asustor (if not already done) , they are usually quite fast in responding and very helpful.
Hi ho66es

I have done that, they have been helpful, i did a little bit more investigating myself and have discovered its an issue with my netgear switch - GS608 V2.

I ended up plugging the AS604-T into my modem as well as my media players and have no problem, still bit miffed as i don't have this issue using my netgear readynas through the switch, might see if support can sort something out as i really need my switch and don't really want to have to buy another one.
rimmerbsc

Post by rimmerbsc »

Auberon2k wrote:I use link aggregation on my AS-608T and it plays back fine through all my PS3's I use for DLNA playback. It is possible that the netgear switch is the one having the issue having both links connected to it. I personally have LAN1 connected to my DLink router (gigabit) and LAN2 is on a downstream linksys gigabit switch where my ESX host lives. This gives my ESX server a local link without flooding my router that all the playback devices connect through (1 wired, 2 wifi PS3s, 3 laptops wifi). I saw someone mention that some switches may not support 803.ad link aggregation.
Hi Auberon2k, what is the model number of your switch that you have everything plugged into as i need my switch and it appears that the issues are with the netgear switch i am using.

Return to “UPnP Media Server”