Problems with some MP3s

The UPnP AV Media Server app can turn your NAS into your home multimedia streaming server. As long as you have devices that support UPnP or DLNA (for example, SONY BRAVIA TV or PlayStation3), you can directly browse and stream the pictures, music and videos stored on your NAS.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Auberon2k
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Problems with some MP3s

Post by Auberon2k »

I've been playing about with my AS-608T and using UPNP to serve up media to my PS3s around the house via DLNA. Most things work fine, the 100+GB of music I moved off my old Windows 7 media server library to the 608T work fine. Since then I've added a few albums and these new albums freak out UPnP1. UPnP2 shows them with no issues and they playback fine. When I browse to the directory on UPnP1 the files flip out and it looks like it keeps refreshing the directory. Trying to hit play on a file results in a "Media has been removed" or similar unavailable message. Scrolling down the list of tracks shows the tracks multiple times (generally in order) so 1,2,3 -12, 1, 2, 3 -12, etc and keeps repeating. As mentioned, opening files through the UPnP2 server shows only one copy of each track and they playback fine. I would just use UPnP2 but it has other issues with serving up certain MP4 files which is equally bizarre, as the same files playback fine via UPnP1. I have checked the files and folder permissions and the share. checked the tagging on the files just in case it was something odd with the ID3 tagging. everything looks fine, exactly the same as the album next to it which works fine. Anyone have any thoughts on possible causes?
sys

Re: Problems with some MP3s

Post by sys »

I used AS-604T uPnP v2 and Ps3 to play the Simpsons Movie.mp4 and it OK. Maybe you can share one of your mp4 so I can play with?
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

It's only some MP4s and it's super odd. I mentioned doing a bit more testing in my post under the UPnPv2 forum that the same MP4s fail on multiple PS3s in my house (we use them as media centres, DLNA, Netflix, BluRay). I did fire up my XB360 and tried, it only saw the v2 server, and the one MP4 that I'm using for testing right now played fine on it. I have other MP4s that play back just fine, tons of TV shows in MP4 now. I'm uploading a copy of one of the affected movies, the smallest of them to save bandwidth to my skydrive. I'll send you a link privately once it's up.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

I got your file and tried it on my AS-608T and it did not work either through uPnP v2 but can work through uPnP v1.

But I copied this mp4 file to USB memory stick and plugged into PS3, it did not work either. Then I copied this mp4 file into the local disk of PS3, PS3 did not recognize this file at all.

Seems like that Ps3 does not play this special mp4 file by nature but windows media player converts it to be playable for PS3, so is uPnP v1 but not for uPnP v2.
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

So it must be something odd about the encoding. It's just bizarre that these played fine from the Windows Media Player shares on my old Win7 "server", play fine on UPnPv1 but fail on UPnPv2. v2 is doing something different....

Return to “UPnP Media Server”