Streaming to Sony TV

The UPnP AV Media Server app can turn your NAS into your home multimedia streaming server. As long as you have devices that support UPnP or DLNA (for example, SONY BRAVIA TV or PlayStation3), you can directly browse and stream the pictures, music and videos stored on your NAS.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

n2vwz
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Streaming to Sony TV

Post by n2vwz »

I'm trying to stream video directly to a Sony KDL40XBR9 through it's Ethernet connection without the use of a separate media player. The TV is supposed to support DLNA. The TV apparently recognizes the the UPnP Server, but reports "no compatible files found". I'm guessing it's because all of the files on the server are MKV format H264 video files.

Is there a workaround for this situation without resorting to an external media player box?
Will the UPnP2 or Plex servers present the video stream in a format that the Sony TV will accept?

The TV can navigate and play video from dozens of IPTV sites. I would like it to be capable of navigating my own server via the Ethernet connection.
clinton.hall

Re: Streaming to Sony TV

Post by clinton.hall »

I believe plex will do what you want. I.e transcode the .mkv to a version that your tv can play.
AS-604T
3 x ST4000DM0000 (Seagate 4TB) in Raid5
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)
NZBGet - CouchPotato - SickBeard - Git - Python

Apps (maintainer):
NZBGet - BitTorrent Sync - Mylar - LazyLibrarian - Gamez
-Maintenance of Apps acquired from JohhnyFive since ADM2.0:
SABnzbd - CouchPotato - SickBeard - HeadPhones - Subsonic

About Me: http://fockwulf.wix.com/index
n2vwz

Post by n2vwz »

clinton.hall wrote:I believe plex will do what you want. I.e transcode the .mkv to a version that your tv can play.
I installed Plex. The DLNA and Transcode boxes are checked. The Sony TV sees the Plex server, but reports that no compatible files were found. I added some *.AVI files to the menu with the same result. The Sony is supposed to be able to decode mpeg2 files which I believe is the case for AVI.

Where does the transcode format get defined in Plex? I did not see any configuration menus for this.
yogi

Post by yogi »

.avi is a container / file format, not the video stream content / codec, which could be mpeg, often it is xvid, could be h264 family like x264 etc.
usually sony plays less codecs than samsung & others.
Home Storage: 8x Seagate IronWolf NAS HDD 8TB ST8000VN0022 @ 608T
Jussumguy

Post by Jussumguy »

In case anyone runs across this issue in the future. Sony tv's are pretty particular with regards to encode details. Anything from no file found, to unsupported, to playback issues like stutter, can occur if the encode isn't just so. My w950b won't play files directly ripped from makemkv. I have to re-encode them. For dvd quality I use High@3.0, for bluray High@4.0. h.264 is fine but h.265 is a flat no go. Even after that I often have to remux. I use handbrake for encode, mkvtoolnix for remux.

Also the tv down mixes DTS to ac3 and can't pass more than 5.1 ac3, or 2channel pcm through arc. The list Sony provides only accounts for supported File TYPES, not encode profiles. Play around with encode and remux til you get the file in question to play correctly at a quality level you can accept.

Return to “UPnP Media Server”