Motion Detection Recording - Dahua / ONVIF (AS5202T)

Surveillance Center gives you the ability to collectively manage an array of IP cameras. Through its Web-based interface you can monitor live view feeds from all your cameras and play back previously recorded video.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

COO-589
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Motion Detection Recording - Dahua / ONVIF (AS5202T)

Post by COO-589 »

G'day,

I have 1x Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE + 4x Dahua SD22204UE-GN cameras connected to my ASUSTOR AS5202T (with additional 2GB RAM for total 4GB RAM) by PoE via a Dahua PoE switch directly to one of the NAS's LAN ports, with the other LAN port connected to my home network and internet.

The IPC-HDW5231R-ZE was a listed model when adding the camera on Surveillance Centre, but this didn't work so it was connected by ONVIF. The SD22204UE-GN were not listed so were all added by ONVIF.

My research says that motion detection is supported via ONVIF, and Surveillance Centre surely has the ability to utilise this function over ONVIF given the motion recording feature.

There is nowhere near enough detail provided to explain the requirements or setup for motion recording (I know ASUSTOR won't cover off on every camera on the market though of course) but I don't know if I need to enable a specific stream or something for Surveillance Centre to utilise motion detection recording from my cameras.

I've only enabled the main stream on each of my cameras, which is H265 at 30fps on VBR quality 6 with maximum bitrate range.

All of my cameras were initialised, have been setup correctly and function well, including control of PTZ etc.

I can record manually or continuously through each camera's settings on Surveillance Centre, however I can't get motion detection recording to work.

I've played with the motion detection settings directly through the Dahua web GUI on the cameras, but can't get any motion recording on Surveillance Centre.

In the Dahua web GUI for the cameras, I have set the areas and can see motion being detected as I adjust the sensitivity and threshold but Surveillance Centre just won't record when motion (or the event) is detected.

What am I missing? Please help! I'm seriously considering abandoning ASUSTOR's Surveillance Centre and purchasing a Dahua NVR to record on the NAS instead or even directly from the cameras to the NAS... I really do want to also utilise these cameras' face detection functions as well, which is not a feature included in ASUSTOR's Surveillance Centre, so will probably ditch Surveillance Centre if I'm beyond help.

Thank you kindly.
Last edited by COO-589 on Sun May 02, 2021 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
COO-589

Re: Motion Detection Recording - Dahua / ONVIF (AS5202T)

Post by COO-589 »

So I've done some more research today. All of my Dahua cameras are only specified for up to ONVIF Profile S (and G), but it looks like they would have needed to have been specified for ONVIF Profile T for event or motion data to pass from the device to the client... This may not be a concern with Dahua cameras to Dahua NVRs though

Does my AS5202T NAS (and the Surveillance Centre software) support ONVIF Profile T as a client if I was to have had ONVIF Profile T cameras?
COO-589

Re: Motion Detection Recording - Dahua / ONVIF (AS5202T)

Post by COO-589 »

I've now come across the news of Dahua being banned or suspended from ONVIF specifications and conformity... I wish I'd known all of this prior to making my purchases and conducting the installations, I would've sought another camera manufacturer.

Obviously ideally, the Dahua-ONVIF issue would be resolved. However, I think I'll just have the cameras save motion detection recordings directly to my NAS to manually retrieve and view if there's been an incident and use the AiSecure app purely for live view... I'll look into using a Dahua NVR instead for motion detection recording face detection snapshots later on.

The Cameras are decent and I'm a massive fan of the PTZ capabilities of the Dahua cameras I have, but I wish I knew about the ONVIF issue and went with another brand... I've got motion detection setup on each camera to record directly into folders on the NAS which works fine. So for now, I am just using AiSecure for live streaming/viewing and manually scroll through photos saved on my NAS from motion detection events by the camera if I need to see what happened.

I'm seeing the posts about motion detection not working since the latest Surveillance Centre software update but am unsure if that would apply to my case - is it possible that the older software versions would allow motion detection recording with my Dahua cameras even though they're not specified for ONVIF Profile T?

Return to “Surveillance Center”