Camera(s) "Disconnected" and cease recording but are functioning normally otherwise

Surveillance Center gives you the ability to collectively manage an array of IP cameras. Through its Web-based interface you can monitor live view feeds from all your cameras and play back previously recorded video.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

COO-589
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Camera(s) "Disconnected" and cease recording but are functioning normally otherwise

Post by COO-589 »

G'day,

I'll be raising a support ticket with ASUSTOR but would still also like to know if anyone else is experiencing the same issue to see if it's a common fault or isolated to me...

I have five Dahua PoE cameras connected to my AS6706T via a Dahua PoE switch directly to one of my NAS' LAN ports, all under ONVIF. I have two of these cameras set to record with motion detection on Surveillance Centre.

Every so often, I go to review a recording, only to find that one or both of these cameras have not been recording for a few days. Everything works as it should, but this always happens after around two to three days...

Live View on AiSecure is all good, but when I jump into the camera settings on Surveillance Centre [edit: or in the cameras tab on the AiSecure app], one or both of these two cameras show up as "Disconnected" (this only ever happens with the two cameras that are set up for recording), even though everything else is functioning.

They won't record and also won't ever return to "Connected" without rebooting the NAS - disabling/re-enabling the cameras, disconnecting/reconnecting or power-cycling the PoE switch (and therefore cameras) does not return the cameras to normal, only restarting the NAS does...

In the Event Log on Surveillance Centre, it shows when a camera apparently disconnects, and shows plenty of "could not reconnect" events, but also still logs motion detection for the "disconnected" cameras like normal but won't save recordings.

This is such a nuisance. I have the cameras saving motion detection snapshots directly to the NAS, but don't want to do the same for recordings due to the Dahua video file format compared to the Surveillance Centre recordings' file format...

Is this happening to anyone else? Cheers!
Last edited by COO-589 on Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COO-589

*Camera [stream] "Disconnect" and stop recording but Live View stream good (reboot NAS to reconnect)

Post by COO-589 »

Update:

Support Ticket raised, ASUSTOR aware of the issue. Nil resolution as of yet...

For these two affected cameras on my setup, I used to have their main streams (4K or 1080p depending on the cameras) as the recording stream, and their sub-streams (all cameras at 720p) in Surveillance Centre for AiSecure Live View (I did this for better loading times over EZ-Connect due to lousy bandwidth of the EZ-Connect server when away from my local network).

In that configuration, when these cameras "disconnected", recording by Surveillance Centre would cease but Live View on AiSecure would continue.

Now I've dropped the sub-streams and am now only using the main streams at full resolution. And now when a camera "disconnects", I also lose the Live View for that camera as well.

So whatever is happening with Surveillance Centre that's causing my cameras that are set up for motion detection recording to "disconnect" is only affecting the streams of those cameras that are set for recording, which is quite a strange anomaly.

I've also recently set up a security camera system at my mother's house with an AS5202T and some new but different model Dahua cameras (also configured with the generic/ONVIF settings), and the exact same issue occurs with that system, so I know it's not just an isolated fault.

The only way to restore these cameras' connection is to reboot the NAS, so I've had to set scheduled daily reboots for both of these NAS which is such a nuisance.

I'd love to hear if anyone is having this problem on their setups, and if having cameras from the included drop-down list of compatible cameras changes anything compared to being configured with the generic/ONVIF settings.

I've chosen cameras based on their specifications to suit my needs cases, and none of them have been in the lists, but it would be great if they could be added (unsure of what lies in the background for cameras on the list).

Desperately hoping this fault can be rectified ASAP.

Cheers!
joengr

Re: Camera(s) "Disconnected" and cease recording but are functioning normally otherwise

Post by joengr »

Hi... I am having a similar situation but not the same with Reolink PTZ cameras. After adding them to the list of cameras via ONVIF, they are added but immediately go to Disconnected. The weird thing is that the stream is viewable in the Live Sectio of SC. Nothing else works, PTZ is totally dead and even the motion detection does not record. I know the camera works as they still do tracking and auto zooming but the SC simply ignores that. Log has a bunch of Can't Reconnect entries. Also, if I want to Edit the camera settings I receive an Incorrecto Login and the only thing I can do is delete the camera and re-add it. I believe it has to do with SC and the ONVIF profiles in the application. I tested the cameras in another ONVIF environment and they work as supposed.
Also raised a ticket for my Reolink Trackmix camera but the only answer I got was basic support and nothing else.
Was starting to evaluate return my NAS and get a Synology... it would be a lot of pain as it is currently all fine tuned and frankly is easier to return a camera than to return the NAS.
COO-589

Re: Camera(s) "Disconnected" and cease recording but are functioning normally otherwise

Post by COO-589 »

My Support Ticket has hit a dead end with ASUSTOR, copped out with a "probable ONVIF stability issue" and that I should select cameras that are included in the supported camera list...

I'm choosing cameras based on their specifications for their use cases, not based on cameras that are already in the list. I asked what I had to do to have my camera models "made compatible and added to the list" but didn't get a response on that...

I also asked what supposedly happens in the software in the background when you have a camera that is on the list and don't have to choose the generic/ONVIF option, but was told it just has preset settings (which could theoretically just be the same generic/ONVIF settings but with a label though?)...

The list also seems pretty poorly managed - there's heaps of duplicates and typos from what I saw when I had another scroll recently to check if any of mine had been added...

This is an absolute nuisance having to reboot my NAS every day or two to restore recording for my cameras when they apparently disconnect...
COO-589

Post by COO-589 »

Just an update on where I'm at with this:

ASUSTOR Support were helpless and fobbed it off with a passing statement that "it's probably an ONVIF stability issue - you should only use cameras from our compatibility list"...

Since then with further ADM and app updates, further problems began to occur;

- I'd get regular temporary disconnects (seen by the "loading wheel" on cameras with AiSecure Live View), which usually ended up with "unable to reconnect" errors and loss of the stream until the NAS was rebooted (rebooting the camera or PoE switch would not restore the connection).

- I'd see flashes of green in the video in Live View, and when playing back recordings in AiSecure would give mostly a green video that would not play smoothly (it would stutter through maybe six frames forward, then jump back maybe five frames, so would gradually move forward, but was useless video with this issue and frames mostly just being green). Strangely though; opening the recordings' files on a computer from their saved location on the NAS yielded perfectly displayed, smooth videos (I never tried playing back recordings on Surveillance Centre so don't know which case that would have reflected).

I've updated cameras' firmware, which did not resolve any issues.

What has successfully restored connection stability was changing the camera streams from H265 (no Smart, Plus or AI settings) to H264. So I'm using more bandwidth and storage capacity, but at least it's reliable again now.

I don't know what ASUSTOR did in their updates to cause these issues or if they will ever resolve them, but I think I'll most likely just stay with H264.

I initially had to choose H265 over H264 as with my rotated camera, the aspect ratio would display correctly for H265 video but not H264. Thankfully though, they since fixed that specific issue in another update.

An interesting point to note is that when I have having those disconnection issues, it would only be with the cameras that I have set for recording (motion recording) through Surveillance Centre - other cameras were always perfectly stable in H265 with no loading wheels or disconnections.

Also very interesting with this was that if I enabled a sub-stream on a camera that was set for recording and set Surveillance Centre to record from one stream and use the other stream for AiSecure Live View, only the stream that was set for recording would have issues. Weirdly; when a camera would "disconnect" and be unable to reconnect, that camera would show as disconnected in the camera tab of AiSecure but the camera was still streaming in AiSecure Live View.

Annoyingly now; ASUSTOR doesn't seem to want to let me be completely problem-free with this so I'm getting constant NAS storage space full notifications even though there is plenty of space available (only 3% used), no overall or individual camera max recording sizes set - I just can't have a complete win...

I don't know if any of this will help anyone or if ASUSTOR will ever fix these issues, but if you do find similar issues; try H264 instead of H265 for your camera's recording stream in the Surveillance Centre settings (if not already) and make sure there's no smart or plus settings applied for the video codecs on your cameras as well to ensure compatibility.
Drmark

Post by Drmark »

and Oct 2023. Bought 2 cameras, both connect and then in 2 seconds, disconnect. I tried this on 2 different 6510t with the same issue.

I also have a Synology 1819+ and did the same install. Works perfectly. Now stuck with Synology for this activity.
Jbtay

Post by Jbtay »

I have the same issue with Reolink cameras one is the Duo WiFi 2 and the trackmix wifi. None PoE.

I tried user defined and ONVIF setup. Both connect and once connected I go to next screen they show connected for about 3-5 seconds.

So they are recognized loaded and disconnect.

I have still not heard from support. Going on 3rd day. Reolink says it’s not the cameras as they work fine with PC software and IPhone software. Cameras are awesome.
joengr wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:26 am Hi... I am having a similar situation but not the same with Reolink PTZ cameras. After adding them to the list of cameras via ONVIF, they are added but immediately go to Disconnected. The weird thing is that the stream is viewable in the Live Sectio of SC. Nothing else works, PTZ is totally dead and even the motion detection does not record. I know the camera works as they still do tracking and auto zooming but the SC simply ignores that. Log has a bunch of Can't Reconnect entries. Also, if I want to Edit the camera settings I receive an Incorrecto Login and the only thing I can do is delete the camera and re-add it. I believe it has to do with SC and the ONVIF profiles in the application. I tested the cameras in another ONVIF environment and they work as supposed.
Also raised a ticket for my Reolink Trackmix camera but the only answer I got was basic support and nothing else.
Was starting to evaluate return my NAS and get a Synology... it would be a lot of pain as it is currently all fine tuned and frankly is easier to return a camera than to return the NAS.

Return to “Surveillance Center”