using airplay wih apple's "remote" app on iphone

The iTunes Server app can turn your NAS into your home's audio and video streaming center. It allows you to share music and movies from your NAS with computers in the same network environment.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

toprk
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

using airplay wih apple's "remote" app on iphone

Post by toprk »

hi~

just got a itunes server app on as-602T and have a question about airplay.

i have macbook and iphone.

in macbook, i implement itunes and import my itunes library (AS-602T)
and select speaker b&w a7, play song very well.

but, in iphone,
when i go to use the remote app on my iphone to play songs from my NAS itunes surver (synchronization), music list looks good.(importing) and select one song and select airplay b&w a7 for playing the music, it doesn't playing through the iphone.(while music playing scroll is going, i cannot hear.)

what problem is it?

which one?

apple remote app? or itunes server on as-602t bug??
Elsa.L

Re: using airplay wih apple's "remote" app on iphone

Post by Elsa.L »

Dear toprk:

Thanks for purchasing our product!
As I know, "remote" is an app that syncs with the iTunes on you Mac but not directly with your NAS.
i.e., when you use your Mac to play the music, the topology is:
Mac ---- NAS ---- amplifier

but when you use "remote", the topology is like:
iPhone ---- Mac ---- NAS --- amplifier

(please refer to Apple's website of remote: http://www.apple.com/apps/remote/ )

Since you have no problem with playing songs directly with your Mac, i suggest you can check the connection status between your iPhone and Mac.
Please make sure you open iTunes on Mac when you are using "remote" and also check the volume, sometimes the default volume of each software could be different.

Please feel free to let me know if there's anything i can help,
thanks!

Best Regards,
Elsa
toprk

Post by toprk »

dear elsa,

thanks for reply, but my problem is different.

MACbook - nas - airplay speakers : airplay is very well working.

http://download.asustor.com/college/en/ ... Server.pdf

if i try in order to guide(link), sync is well done.
so, i can see music list on remote app of my iphone.

But, step3.
STEP3. You can choose to play your music directly from your NAS (using an HDMI compatible device or
USB speakers) or through any AirPlay compatible devices on the network.

this part is my problem.
if it is in accordance with the instructions, or is not possible airplay on Remote app???

(AS-602T)  airplay
Diagram : iPhone ---------- itunes server ------------- amplifier (Airplay B&W A7)
         sync
Elsa.L

Post by Elsa.L »

Dear toprk:

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the misunderstanding,
I did some further test today, and here's the results.

Your topology:
customer topology
customer topology
Picture 098.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 19292 times
My test devices:
1. Laptop(win7, with iTunes)
2. iPhone4 (iOS 6.1.2, with “Remote”, "Youtube" and some songs stored in iPhone)
3. AirPort Express (as the router and also connected with earphones as the output of airplay)

My topology:
elsa topology
elsa topology
Picture 099.png (4.02 KiB) Viewed 19292 times

Test case1:
Use laptop to play a song that is stored in NAS, select the earphone as the output through airplay --> OK

Test case2:
Use iphone to play a video on Youtube, select the earphone as the output through airplay --> OK, can hear the sound of the video

Test case3:
Use iphone to play local songs with “Music” app, select the earphone as the output through airplay --> OK

Test case4:
Use iphone to play a song that is stored in NAS with “Remote” app, select the earphone as the output through airplay --> FAILED, the iPhone seems playing the song, but no sound from the earphone.

Test case5:
Use iPhone to pair with the iTunes on my laptop, play the songs stored in the laptop --> OK

Test case6:
Use iPhone to pair with the iTunes on my laptop, play the songs that is shared from NAS to the laptop --> OK

Due to the test results,
we also checked with our engineer, the pair between iPhone "remote" app and NAS only support HDMI and USB speakers now.
Please kindly pair to your Mac first then control Mac to play music from NAS to airplay speaker as the workaround for your application
(To play the songs from NAS to airplay speakers via "remote"),
and we'll try our best to implement directly airplay from iPhone to the speakers in the future.

Please feel free to let me know if there's anything we could help,
thanks!

Best Regards,
Elsa
toprk

Post by toprk »

Thank you very much for reply and lot of testing.

I hope the true airplay(directly) in itunes server application,

so i look forward to be supported as soon as possible. :D

Best Regards,
toprk
ravenpaw

Post by ravenpaw »

i am reinforcing my hope that such capacity will exist in the future. I am trying to stream music from my NAS (AS-602T) to amplifiers elsewhere in the house, without relying on purchasing an expensive Sonos-like system. is this possible?
thanks for any advise.
sys

Post by sys »

I think there should be 2 answers to your desire immediately:

1. your HDMI cable is long enough to connect amplifier with NAS

2. your amplifier is equipped with Network/DLNA capability (such as Yamaha RX-V475 or above), then your issue is resolved...
asustorAirPaly

Post by asustorAirPaly »

Hi,

I just purchased a ASUSTOR 202TE two years after this problem had been reported in this post and ran into exactly the same issue!

Is the mentioned improvement has been implemented at this time (Sept 2014)? Maybe my ADM version 2.2.1.R863 is not the latest?

Thanks for your help!

Elsa.L wrote:Dear toprk:

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the misunderstanding,
I did some further test today, and here's the results.

Your topology:
Picture 098.png
My test devices:
1. Laptop(win7, with iTunes)
2. iPhone4 (iOS 6.1.2, with “Remote”, "Youtube" and some songs stored in iPhone)
3. AirPort Express (as the router and also connected with earphones as the output of airplay)

My topology:
Picture 099.png

Test case1:
Use laptop to play a song that is stored in NAS, select the earphone as the output through airplay --> OK

Test case2:
Use iphone to play a video on Youtube, select the earphone as the output through airplay --> OK, can hear the sound of the video

Test case3:
Use iphone to play local songs with “Music” app, select the earphone as the output through airplay --> OK

Test case4:
Use iphone to play a song that is stored in NAS with “Remote” app, select the earphone as the output through airplay --> FAILED, the iPhone seems playing the song, but no sound from the earphone.

Test case5:
Use iPhone to pair with the iTunes on my laptop, play the songs stored in the laptop --> OK

Test case6:
Use iPhone to pair with the iTunes on my laptop, play the songs that is shared from NAS to the laptop --> OK

Due to the test results,
we also checked with our engineer, the pair between iPhone "remote" app and NAS only support HDMI and USB speakers now.
Please kindly pair to your Mac first then control Mac to play music from NAS to airplay speaker as the workaround for your application
(To play the songs from NAS to airplay speakers via "remote"),
and we'll try our best to implement directly airplay from iPhone to the speakers in the future.

Please feel free to let me know if there's anything we could help,
thanks!

Best Regards,
Elsa
sergi

Post by sergi »

Hello,

I've same issue:
Test case4:
Use iPhone to play a song that is stored in NAS with “Remote” app, select the earphone as the output through airplay --> FAILED, the iPhone seems playing the song, but no sound from the earphone.

Can someone fix this? I've recently bought airplay capable amplifier but I will return it if this issue won't be fixed

Thanx for your answer

Petr

Return to “iTunes Server”