Is there a way to mount an external share?

File Explorer comes pre-installed with ADM and can be used to browse and manage the files on your NAS.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

robocub
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Is there a way to mount an external share?

Post by robocub »

I am trying to find out if there is a way to mount an external share point in File Explorer (or elsewhere)? I have another NAS that I share files and I want to mount that share folder on my AS3102 so its available to read from. Is this possible and if so how? Thanks
MikeG.6.5

Re: Is there a way to mount an external share?

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I have a couple of different Asustor NASes, and I had thought to do the same thing sharing the smaller unit out to the larger, so I could set up some backups, etc.

So when I had a ticket open and had an Asustor Tech Support TV'd into my PC I asked the same question. She sent me a support document that walks through how to do it. Unfortunately I had some difficulties with it and wasn't able to get it working as intended, but I haven't looked into it any further.

The support document is on my FTP site located here: ftp://anonymous:anonymous@rmgud.myasustor.com/Public/ You may have better luck getting this to work than I did. I was tired, and just haven't looked into it any further since I first started working with it.
robocub

Post by robocub »

Many thanks MikeG. Their documentation is a little confusing but I do get it. Its basically using command line to mount an NFS share into an existing folder. I was hoping there was an built-in option in File Explorer in ADM similar to how Synology has it in their DSM File Explorer.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I agree it would be nice to browse the network and then make a connection within the File Manager. In fact, I'm not sure I've seen a feature request for this before. (Subtle hint, here... take the fire man, it's your idea!) :) We already have the option in the ADM to make the NAS the Master Browser, so it should already know what devices/shares exist. Take it a step further.... :/

Remember though. The ADM's File Manger is limited to what they can accomplish with how they have things written. (Java?) And until they come out with a full blown HTML5 interface, Java is going to be the limits they have. A hard cap, so to speak...

There are so many things they could be doing with the ADM to make it easier for all of us, yet they don't. Directly editing the chron file, making things like the HX_Engine desktop the default HDMI output, rather than the AS Portal, etc. Updating the existing Asustor apps to current versions would be nice, too. (Over 250 commits behind on NetData alone, the last time I looked and that was over a month ago!) But, you know, all we can do is offer suggestions. We get what we get, when we get it.

I have even asked if I could get a list of changes made from the base repository on NetData, so I could try porting the latest commits over, but haven't gotten anything back on that.

But this is a great idea. And I think you should make a feature request. Maybe add in a screenshot or two of how it's done with the competition for reference.

Return to “File Explorer”