Unable to delete files/folders. (Ref 5011)

File Explorer comes pre-installed with ADM and can be used to browse and manage the files on your NAS.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

matock
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Unable to delete files/folders. (Ref 5011)

Post by matock »

Hi all,

I've 2 folders that I can not access, copy, move, or delete. It is an automated backup from my PC to the NAS and the backup crashes every time on the same 2 folders, while those 2 folders are ok on the PC. Both of them have the same following behavior:

From the Asustor File Explorer, the folders are invisible. I see only the parent folder, which appears empty. If I try to delete the parent folder I got the error popup "Unable to delete files/folders. (Ref 5011)".

From a console access (Putty), a ls on the parent folder displays:

Code: Select all

ls: ./prevuuw: Input/output error
Here, 'prevuuw' is the folder name with the problem. Any other command like ls, cp, mv, rmdir, chmod or find on this folder triggers the same error. I tried 'root' access with no more success.

No more chance with FTP, nor WebDav, or from the Windows File Explorer: the folders are invisible et deleting the parent folder fails.

As a temporary solution, I've "isolated" the anomaly by renaming the parent folder (DUMMY_xxx), so that my backup works fine now because it has re-created correctly a new tree of folders and there is no more error message. But the DUMMY_xxx folder is still there and I'm still unable to access or to delete it.

I guess that I have to check/repair the partition but I'm not sure and I don't know how to proceed (basic knowledge in Linux).

Thank you very much for you help.
Matock

PS: I don't need to recover the folder content, I just want to delete it.
AS-202T / 2x WD 4To Red
sys

Re: Unable to delete files/folders. (Ref 5011)

Post by sys »

If you right click that folder and enter the property in File Explorer in ADM, change the access rights to Admin, administrators, will it work?
matock

Post by matock »

No it doesn't. It has changed correctly from guest/nogroup to admin/administrators, but the delete still doesn't work and produces the same error.

On the other hand I launched the ADM Disk Doctor, but with no more success (bad blocks scan and smart scan quick/full). They report no error. Is there a Linux command to scan/repair a partition and/or a file allocation table? (equivalent to the famous chkdsk /f)
AS-202T / 2x WD 4To Red
matock

Post by matock »

After contacting the support, they brought me a solution. I share it here, it might help somebody else.

My file system was damaged with "1.3% of non-contiguous blocks". The solution is to repair the file system by running the fsck utility. How to proceed:

1. backup all your data
2. turn off the unit and pull out all drives
3. turn on the unit without drives
4. once the unit is bootup, put the drives back (do not run initialization process!)
5. login with "root" and password "admin" via SSH
6. run "mdadm -A /dev/md1 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4" to assemble the RAID volume
7. run "fsck.ext4 -p /dev/md1" to repair automatically the file system
8. run "reboot"

In my case, the automatic repair failed and it proposed to me to run it in manual mode, without the -p parameter. I just replied to all questions with the default proposition (y).

After reboot I did also:
- I re-executed the fsck to check again the volume --> file system clean
- I did a full compare between the volume and the backup --> none file was missing
- I was able to delete my nasty folders
AS-202T / 2x WD 4To Red

Return to “File Explorer”