It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:16 pm
All times are UTC + 8 hours

Running Ubuntu on AS-604T (or any other Linux distro)

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Running Ubuntu on AS-604T (or any other Linux distro)

Postby mafredri » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:45 am

Greetings,

I've been wanting to breath some new life into my old AS-604T (running an up-to-date kernel, among other things). As such, I've been playing around with it and figured out how to run Ubuntu on it, quite successfully.

I'm curious how much interest there might be from others for doing the same? I might try to write some blog posts about the process.

Currently I'm working on writing a control-program for the LCD (LCM) and LEDs on the front panel (and drive enclosure). I still haven't figured out the drive enclosure LEDs, but I can control the front panel LEDs and the LCD (+buttons).

The LCD control program should would work on ADM as well, if that's of interest to anyone.

Unfortunately I've not been able to enable video output over HDMI during boot, nor have I been able to enable USB-keyboard (for boot selection). However, I've figured out the boot process, and when the default ASUSTOR bootloader is disabled, a USB drive can be used to boot up the system. This way, you can just swap the USB-drive depending on if you want to boot e.g. Ubuntu or the ASUSTOR firmware.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Cheers,
Mathias
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
mafredri

Return to [Official] For AS-60X Series