Can't replace faulty disk

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

atiras
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Can't replace faulty disk

Post by atiras »

I have an AS-604T running ADM 2.7.1 RFT5 and BIOS 1.11

It's configured as a single RAID5 volume (4 x 3TB) using Toshiba DT01ACA300 drives (compatibility should be OK).

Recently one of the disks (disk 4) showed a red light and was reported as "missing" in the Storage Manager. Data still accessible of course, but without redundancy so needs fixing. Log showed a sequence of media errors for that disk, followed by "There is a hardware error on the slot 4 disk". (Subsequently, removing and replugging this disk showed in the log, although obviously it didn't solve the hardware error; similarly, the system reports when other disks are removed and replugged).

I bought a new Western Digital Red 3TB disk (WD30EFRX so compatibility should be fine) -- I've always had a preference for WD but the NAS originally arrived pre-populated with Toshiba disks.

Took out the defunct disk, inserted the new disk. Green light now showing on that disk, so I was expecting it to resync over a long period and then the problem was solved.

:? Well, it didn't resync. The disk still shows as 'Missing"in the Storgae Manager (other disks are "Good"). The log doesn't report that the new disk has been plugged in. And if I go to Storage Manager > Volume 1 the Management button is greyed out.

What (if anything) am I doing wrong? What else should I check? I can try the new disk in another NAS but that holds got the data-backup for the first NAS and doesn;t have any spare slots, so I'm loathe to mess around with it as a first resort.

I'll raise a support ticket with Asustor as soon as I know I'm not being a total idiot!
orion

Re: Can't replace faulty disk

Post by orion »

I guess WD30EFRX size is slightly smaller than Toshiba DT01ACA300. So NAS will not rebuild RAID-5 volume.
If you are familiar with linux command, gdisk, you can check total sector count on each disk. (example: gdisk -l /dev/sda)

The new disk size should be equal to or larger than original disk.
atiras

Post by atiras »

I can see that might be a ossibility -- I shall have to learn how to use the linux command.

However, does that explain why the disk is not seen at all? Shouldn't I be able to see it at least, and add it as a second volume? Or is the RAID5 configuration preventing that?
orion

Post by orion »

I believe so (management button is grayed). Your RAID-5 volume occupies 4 disks. However you should be able to see the new disk under ADM web -> Storage Manager -> Disk. There should be 4 disks (with information: model name, temperature, ...).
atiras

Post by atiras »

Only three disks shown.
atiras

Post by atiras »

It may be the new disk is DOA -- another identical WD disk is now synchroning without a problem. It's a stopgap, as the disk now in use was pulled from another Asustor because it was reporting errors, but it has helped the diagnosis...
atiras

Post by atiras »

Yeah, the original replacement disk was faulty. New disk went in without any problem and has finished synching.

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”