No /var/log/messages file

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dm9991966
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

No /var/log/messages file

Post by dm9991966 »

Model: AS6202
ADM v2.7.0.RF72

I just noticed that I have no /var/log/messages. FWIW, it's been about 15 yrs since I played with Linux seriously. Has the log messages file moved to another default location. If not, any ideas why I wouldn't have the messages file? I've checked, and the rsyslogd daemon is running, and the .conf file seems to say that I should have messages in /var/log/messages, and the permissions on /var/log look appropriate.

So, I'm out of ideas on where else to look. Any thoughts would be great!
orion

Re: No /var/log/messages file

Post by orion »

This file is located on the directory that you just pointed. What's the tool you used to look for it? I use ssh (login with root / admin).
dm9991966

Post by dm9991966 »

I'm connecting from a windows machine via putty. I log in as the admin account, then cd to /var/log. I have a couple of files there, but no 'messages' file.

When running 'ps', I see the following processes
/usr/sbin/logmand
/usr/builtin/sbin/rsyslogd -c5 -f /etc/rsyslog.conf

looking in /etc/rsyslog.conf, i see
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none -/var/log/messages

From what the Great and Mighty Google has told me, that should mean I should have a /var/log/messages...but it's not there.

Looking at /var, i see
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 200 Mar 26 11:40 log/

Any ideas where else I can look to see why the file isn't there?
orion

Post by orion »

:oops: , you are right. I was too confident without checks when I wrote the feedback last time.

After checking it again, rsyslogd is actually tweaked. I believe the log is saved to memory buffer. If the buffer size is full, the process should flush those messages to /volume0/.@system/kernellog/. You can check that directory. I found old messages there, however, it is not the latest one.
dm9991966

Post by dm9991966 »

Wow!!! Thanks...I would have never found that one. Any ideas on how to access the most recent messages? Based on file dates, I'm assuming the bz2 files are archives of older messages. Is there some sort of command I can run to dump the current messages to a file when I need them?

Thanks in advance...
orion

Post by orion »

I don't know the memory buffer size. And I don't know how to flush memory buffer to bz2 file. I think you can talk to asustor support guy to check it. https://support.asustor.com/

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”