Kernel version 4.1 for AS-6XX in 2.6.0?

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
callifo
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Kernel version 4.1 for AS-6XX in 2.6.0?

Post by callifo »

Wanted to query whether the AS-6XX series would also be getting the 4.1 kernel update as mentioned here? http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7568

It seems like it was either missed in the announcement or there is no love for the AS-2XX, AS-3XX and AS-6XX anymore?
Nittenti

Re: Kernel version 4.1 for AS-6XX in 2.6.0?

Post by Nittenti »

You gave the answer yourself!

No more love for AS-2XX, AS-3XX and AS-6XX
AS-604T (3GB RAM) with 4*WD Red 2TB in RAID5
Not the HTPC I thought I bought!
I wonder when Asustor is gonna throw some ressources/manpower/knowledge getting it to work, we did pay a decent amount of money for this - for the moment piece of furniture!
rk3

Post by rk3 »

This can`t be the case. When a NAS system will not get a proper support and updates after around 2 Years NOBODY should buy any NAS from this company. Any android smartphone has a better support. And a high-end smartphone has a live time between 2-4 Years. The live time for a home NAS is in my view something between 5-10 Years.

This is the risk when you select a NAS new comer. I toke the risk and now with this direction I`m absolutely disappointed and can not any more recommend any NAS from this company.

Please tell me that this is a miss interpretation. And the early Asustor NAS adapters still get love.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Technically ... the good question is :
do I have any interest (and not lost things) to move from 3.4 to 4
... do new kernel nucleus and modules have any interest in this hardware platform ? (because all new support need for new platform have no interest for oldest (all is relative) CPU and memory board ... ) ??

even if yes ... what is the cost in term of overhead added ... so on performance ??

Last if you depend of a small company (ex. INTEL to don't said the name) that don't provide sources and libraries (GL, EGL, driver, etc. ) for new kernel ... for ex. for your IGP (from imagine technologie PowerVR) ... BUT CAN'T used any 4.x kernel ...

So in fact Asustor (but also all provider of solutions based on this same ATOM series ... ) the choice is (bad in all case)
... keep Xbmc and some asportal usage and stay in 3.4
... suppress any support of asportal ... move to 4.1 but for what ??? in gain ??

good question ... I don't have any idea of the response (if one exist) ... :lol: :lol:

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”