Restore content of iSCSI drive (no Snapshots) possible?

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
Gunthor
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Restore content of iSCSI drive (no Snapshots) possible?

Post by Gunthor »

With ADM 2.1 an iSCSI drive (with no snapshot functionality) was created and in use until this week. The client computer (Windows 7 x64) got replaced (by another Windows 7 x64 Computer) and the iSCSI drive got reconnected. However, the old computer was and will be used every now and again as a test computer. Unfortunately the iSCSI drive wasn't disconnected and got used there as well... so there were TWO initiators pointing to the same target!
The result is that today the contents of this iSCSI drive are no longer available and Windows Explorer prompts to format the drive! The Formatting was not done yet!

Question:
Is there a way to somehow restore the contents of the iSCSI drive? :?:
Since 07/2023: Asustor AS6702T, (2 x Seagate IronWolf 12TB, RAID 1)
Old: Asustor AS-604RS, ADM 3.1.2.RHG1 (4 x WD Red WD30EFRX 3TB, RAID 5)
Gunthor

Re: Restore content of iSCSI drive (no Snapshots) possible?

Post by Gunthor »

OK - that's what I thought - it is not possible! I was able to restore manually approximately 60% of all the content - the rest is gone! But the iSCSI drive was used for backup anyway so no harm done... ;)

I created a new iSCSI drive and have done a snapshot. Then I deleted a folder and added another file to the iSCSI drive and restored the snapshot. But the deleted folder did not get restored! I would have expected the new file I created on the iSCSI drive after the snapshot was taken to be erased and the deleted folder to be restored. I then disconnected and connected the iSCSI drive on my client but to no avail...

The secret is you need to disconnect the iSCSI drive from your client (my client is a Win7x64 machine) BEFORE restoring the snapshot! Only then the restore works as expected. Now I'm all set for the next disaster to come and I recommend others to switch to iSCSI LUNs with snapshot support. :D
Since 07/2023: Asustor AS6702T, (2 x Seagate IronWolf 12TB, RAID 1)
Old: Asustor AS-604RS, ADM 3.1.2.RHG1 (4 x WD Red WD30EFRX 3TB, RAID 5)

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”