Initialization - Setup wizard

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

kelben
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Initialization - Setup wizard

Post by kelben »

I (like many others) had my NAS fail on booting after the recent ADM download.

I placed a ticket and they are trying to fix it remotely. The Asustor technician in Taiwan do not get back until monday so figured I'd ask here...

He told me to turn my NAS off, then take the 4X WD RED NAS disks out, then start the NAS... After booting sequence was done I was going to place the disks in again.
I've done that and now I can contact the NAS again on the network, but it says "Welcome, This setup wizard will guide you through the initialization process. For most users, the default options are recommended."

THe disks were figured in RAID 0 ? (3/4 storage space), so guess my question is, will I be able to access my files again if I go through the initialization process ? Or should I wait for the technician to do it remotely on monday?

In other words, will a noob like me f*** this up if I give it a try? :D
SapoMalo

Re: Initialization - Setup wizard

Post by SapoMalo »

The initialization process will delete all your files.

If you do not have them backed somewhere else, you should wait before that.

But have you rebooted again after having the disks plugged in?

If everything it's ok, the system should find them and don't ask for initialization..
kelben

Post by kelben »

Thanks for the reply! Guess I won't do the initialization process then :(

I did reboot, but stops at "booting storage...."

I turned it off, took out the disks, turned it on and when it said "No harddrives found" I plugged them in again like the technician told me to. Now it says "initialization yes?" in the display.

Which I ofc won't do, I cannot loose my 5 TB of data!

Hopefully that tech guy have some magical tricks up his sleeve... I will be carefull with upgrading the ADM from now on if I get my files back!
orion

Post by orion »

You should wait for asusotor's support. I heard that there are huge log that fills up volume0 (system volume), so NAS won't startup correctly. I believe asustor support should login to your NAS remotely to remove this huge log, then your NAS can be working again.
aj2

Post by aj2 »

I had a similar issue. Log file was filling rapidly (bug in my own PHP file filling the log) and NAS control center was displaying initializing.
Technical support logged in with Putty, and fixed the raid.
Since then, I have a huge USB drive syncing every night.
To speed up the process, you can already start a team viewer session and install Putty. And give all the needed info to like user-names, passwords, IP addresses & codes via Ticket center to Asustor staff. If they have the correct info, they can start immediately.
Another Day At The Office
kelben

Post by kelben »

Thanks guys!

They fixed my drive exactly like you said :)

Wonder if there is anything I can do to avoid these things in the future... I will atleast check the forums before updating I guess
sys

Post by sys »

Check this out:

http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php? ... =20#p21822

Shit does happen sometimes so I will not count on just one system for my data. I normally do dual backup or triple backup. Currently, I backup one copy in Myarchive1 and another copy in Myarchive2 so in total I got 3 copies for all the business data and family photo, video etc...and additionally one copy to the USB external drive. All are done in schedule internal/external backup. No Raid for me now. :lol:
aj2

Post by aj2 »

To be honest, I have no idea how to avoid this.
I think they will decrease the rotation time so the log will be emptied sooner..

I use the NAS for developing scripts. Sometimes a script runs in a loop and if I do not act on it, the error log will fills itself rapidly. If this happens (I hope not), the same problem will happen again.
Since I had the issue, I have an external drive syncing every night.
Another Day At The Office
kelben

Post by kelben »

Ok got it...

Btw, my 4-bay is configured in Raid 5 mode, so 1/4 disks are kinda in "backup". Can I change it into NONE raid in the Storage Manager app without losing any data?

I mean, only used 30% of the total space I have access to atm.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

The only way to do that is to back up your data to another device or drive and re-initialize the drives in the NAS itself. All of the data on the NAS is going to be wiped out completely.

Raid 5 could cause some issues if you ever have to rebuild the array. The chances of another drive failing during the rebuild process is very high. Moving off of raid 5 might be a real good idea.

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”