ADM 2.5.2.RCG2 killed my NAS

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
ktbken
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: ADM 2.5.2.RCG2 killed my NAS

Post by ktbken »

You mention that you have had issues with the nas losing disks in the past is this the same nas as the one that is dead atm? as you say you have 3

If the nas display is not saying "Booting-storage please wait" then i doubt it is the same issue as mine :(

SapoMalo wrote:
micmac wrote: I found that if I using Lan port 1 that I can't reach the nas. But with Lan2 I can access the nas
Same here.. :roll:

Thanks for replying...

I solved a similar issue before (nas randomly not detecting disks or losing them), basically downgrading firmware,
but without access to the disks, i do not know how to do it

I opened a ticket at Asustor, but they must be off work now... so at least until tomorrow, we got a new piece of furniture :evil:
SapoMalo

Post by SapoMalo »

ktbken wrote:You mention that you have had issues with the nas losing disks in the past is this the same nas as the one that is dead atm? as you say you have 3

If the nas display is not saying "Booting-storage please wait" then i doubt it is the same issue as mine :(
Yes it's the same, the 602.

BUT since I've solved that issue, simply downgrading firmware and reupgrading later, my thought since then has been, that it was a firmware issue.

Now everything was fine before upgrading, then not working correctly since restart, than dead after a software reboot...
...and it happened the same day of other failures around the world...
...all after upgrading...
well, what a weird SATA chip failure it is...

My guess is, but I am not competent enough to say, that it is something that has to do with the new firmware and some SATA chips

To determinate if your nas has the same issue, simple check the Asustor control center.
If the CC display the NAS as AS-0000 with a different serial number instead of the correct one, most probably it is.

I will try a latest attempt with a spare drive that I needed anyway, trying to perform a clean install
and I will come back with the results (crossing fingers)

EDIT
No luck with the new drive... still AS-0000T and "no drive detected"

I declare my 602 officially dead... :(

Contacting dealer right now, guess i'll have it back by the end of January in the best case... not an issue, pain in the a** apart...
I have plenty of backup, but one is not supposed to have a backup of the backup because does not trust the realibity of the backup device... :evil:

EDIT 2

Check the website... SURPRISE SURPRISE ...the 2.5.2 Has been REMOVED!!!

But hey, it's a hardware failure... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
micmac

Post by micmac »

SapoMalo wrote:
ktbken wrote:You mention that you have had issues with the nas losing disks in the past is this the same nas as the one that is dead atm? as you say you have 3

No luck with the new drive... still AS-0000T and "no drive detected"

I declare my 602 officially dead... :(

Contacting dealer right now, guess i'll have it back by the end of January in the best case... not an issue, pain in the a** apart...
I have plenty of backup, but one is not supposed to have a backup of the backup because does not trust the realibity of the backup device... :evil:

EDIT 2

Check the website... SURPRISE SURPRISE ...the 2.5.2 Has been REMOVED!!!

But hey, it's a hardware failure... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Yes. here same thing. After an teamview session they could't not fix it. I have tot send it to RMA. Only good thing is that I still have warranty.
Today I send the unit to my suplier.
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

SapoMalo wrote: Check the website... SURPRISE SURPRISE ...the 2.5.2 Has been REMOVED!!!
Congrats Asustor (claps hands slowly..).

This morning i refused the update and saved my ass.
Anyway, be damned the day i decided to get an Asustor instead of a Synology (and that 'cos of the hdmi port and xbmc... basically, for nothing at all since it's purely a joke on AS3xx).
How a company release firmware updates that kill their devices, devices that must count on continuity and bugfree software?
AS-304T
If you own a series 2/3/6 Asustor it's very likely you won't get XBMC 13.x/Kodi.
But easily you'll end buying a kitchen from UK.
SapoMalo

Post by SapoMalo »

micmac wrote: Yes. here same thing. After an teamview session they could't not fix it. I have tot send it to RMA. Only good thing is that
Today I send the unit to my suplier.
That's why i am not beliving the "hardware failure" excuse...

You, me and how many more?

My guess is that somehow, they have messed with something, maybe the bios of some chips of the previous series, like 602
and now it's so much easier and fast to have us to send the device in RMA to change the whole chip or even the whole board,
instead of spending an hour online for each customer trying to upload the firmware to the nas via a ssh client and flash the bios...

This is my NAS as seen now with a ssh client

I think it's possible, to extract files from a firmware image (maybe it's just enough to copy the whole image to the upgrade dir)
and upload them to the NAS via a tool (i will not get too technical) but, honestly, it's not for everyone (needs some commands,
to know target directories, maybe to run a script... it indeed needs some skills), so it should be done, NAS per NAS by the support...

Easier to replace the hardware part with a new one, that will (probably) have no problem with future upgrades :roll:

or the RMA is now necessary because the have really bricked the thing....

or maybe I am just wrong and it's just a (weird) coincidence :lol:

Honestly, I am a little pi..ed off, most for the feeling of having been mocked.

I still have warranty, too, it's the trust I am losing...
Last edited by SapoMalo on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

Just imagine the ones out of warranty with the nas screwed by their new firmware....
They definitely lost any remaining trust.
AS-304T
If you own a series 2/3/6 Asustor it's very likely you won't get XBMC 13.x/Kodi.
But easily you'll end buying a kitchen from UK.
Nittenti

Post by Nittenti »

dhstsw wrote:Just imagine the ones out of warranty with the nas screwed by their new firmware....
They definitely lost any remaining trust.
I would go nuts if it was mine!

Worst part is their silence in here ?

*Hey we created a lousy firmware upgrade and bricked customers devices....lets hope some smart customer comes up with a workaround*

*psst - remove the faulty firmware and keep quiet*

Forgot to mention their behavior in here - admins deleting threads with questions about their progress.......
AS-604T (3GB RAM) with 4*WD Red 2TB in RAID5
Not the HTPC I thought I bought!
I wonder when Asustor is gonna throw some ressources/manpower/knowledge getting it to work, we did pay a decent amount of money for this - for the moment piece of furniture!
CWeeks

Post by CWeeks »

Mines fucked. What a shitty company. So anybody have the fix?
I have a 602t
SapoMalo

Post by SapoMalo »

CWeeks wrote:Mines fucked. What a shitty company. So anybody have the fix?
I have a 602t
If the Control Center shows the 602 as AS-0000T, support will most probably tell you to send it back in RMA, sorry...

And this point would be pretty obvious that a bunch of 602 has been bricked

BTW I have seen that there are procedures around the web for other NAS devices (different brand)
concerning recovery from a failed upgrade, involving SSH client, a firmware image and a direct connection to a pc.

It's pretty elaborated but there is a step by step guide

Asustor at the moment, seems not to be interested in studying and sharing a similar method :roll:
I will send them a request, just in case,,,
CWeeks

Post by CWeeks »

SapoMalo wrote:
CWeeks wrote:Mines fucked. What a shitty company. So anybody have the fix?
I have a 602t
If the Control Center shows the 602 as AS-0000T, support will most probably tell you to send it back in RMA, sorry...

And this point would be pretty obvious that a bunch of 602 has been bricked

BTW I have seen that there are procedures around the web for other NAS devices (different brand)
concerning recovery from a failed upgrade, involving SSH client, a firmware image and a direct connection to a pc.

It's pretty elaborated but there is a step by step guide

Asustor at the moment, seems not to be interested in studying and sharing a similar method :roll:
I will send them a request, just in case,,,
Thanks

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”