Seriously...AS-608T = I feel so screwed..shitty NAS...

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
statica
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Seriously...AS-608T = I feel so screwed..shitty NAS...

Post by statica »

Must be because im from Denmark. We love minimalistic looking things and brused steel, simplicity and class...like Bang And Olufsen products. They look classy, stylish and are still functional. The one does not exclude the other. It is like seeing picture on tv from when Berlin was still divided by the wall. Those on the east side looked like they just escaped a work camp and the eastern side was modern and european.

I never complained about the performance and the features. There are many features but the problm I have is that most of them seem unfinished or not updated before the next app is under construction. I can easily judge that Synology has the far superior OS and also the best looking one. I just want the ADM to be more efficient, streamlined and then for the apps to b updated more often as XBMC 12.3 is not worth much until we get a v.13 as the hardware acceleration in that is much better. And I know as I worked on it with the XBMC guys.
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

For apps, plex is maintained by the plex team, not Asustor. Check the plex website and ask the devs there to submit the latest version to Asustor AppCentral... I am sure the latest version is available on their site.

Boxee was released first, but I believe was replaced with XBMC. It was never made available for 2/3 series and hasn't been updated.

XBMC is due for update. There are also issues with drivers etc that I believe are being looked at...

Many of the other Apps are done by 3rd party... As with Syno and QNAP the community contributes a lot. At this time Asustor is still rather new, so the community isn't as large. Some of us are very busy trying to maintain Apps.
AS-604T
3 x ST4000DM0000 (Seagate 4TB) in Raid5
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)
NZBGet - CouchPotato - SickBeard - Git - Python

Apps (maintainer):
NZBGet - BitTorrent Sync - Mylar - LazyLibrarian - Gamez
-Maintenance of Apps acquired from JohhnyFive since ADM2.0:
SABnzbd - CouchPotato - SickBeard - HeadPhones - Subsonic

About Me: http://fockwulf.wix.com/index
statica

Post by statica »

Well I was the first who got external hardware support to work with XBMC so we could release a way to use hardware acceleration in XBMC about 6-9 months before the official XBMC guys managed to get the internal hardware acceleration to work and our tweak became obsolete. I spent many hours working on it and did that for my love of the XBMC community and the XBMC program itself. I think its cool if Asustor could just ask the community to come with contructive criticism, wishes on what should be focused on, suggestions to how things could look or work. Third party developers are always slow to release to the platforms with less customers. But the problem is that I just think Asustor should ask the community for help and input as I would gladly look at XBMC if I knew which platform and had the right tools. I cant do the programming but im good at upgrading as that gives me the start version of the app and the newer version which I can then simply find the differences between and then try to work on it. Can also test on my NAS so I would gladly help. I might know some guys from my xbmcandroid.com (now xbmchub.com) days that would look at a nicer user interface. I was also an hardware tester for chinese Jynxbox who makes Android based devices so tested them with many builds, flashing, correcting, working with people from Canada to Denmark to China and we got alot done in a short time. So if Asustor wants some help with design of the ADM and with app then I will gladly help, and try to find people who have a design background. Im mostly focused on XBMC app as I used many hours getting that working with external hardware acceleration and never received anything for it and I never thought about asking.

So Asustor, make a better community to start with by asking your users (customers but users sound more like an equal) to get involved.
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

I do not agree with statica. For me, no matter how the shell looks. More importantly, how it works.
For me, the ADM - the more advanced system.
- most recent kernel version (3.7.9 on 6X series) over 3.2.30 (Syno) or even 2.6.x..
- more recent drivers.
- full x64 applications (x86 on Syno, even at x64 kernel)
- 45 seconds boot time (3-5 minutes on QNAP).
- most OS actions written in binary or .cgi (not slow shell scripts, as in many systems).
- more advanced iTunes server based on forked-daapd instead of obsolete firefly (Synology)
dexter

Post by dexter »

I am from Denmark too. I personally find this box performing least as good as its OEM brand partner, QNAP. Not surprising that they got the similar frontend web interface, if like people say, Asustor is a OEM branded QNAP, just much cheaper.

Well for the useability , i have been lucky that it has been stable and only crashed once during automatic shutdown, but auto bootup/shutdown works here for months. Apps have been ok (primarily bittorrent use).

Although i find the XBMC less updated than you could expect, even if Asustor want better functionality and stability, it has been working for me. I am currently using first release of ADM2.x. Did not bother to update, since others complained about LED lights, which i do not want to mess with (have all LEDS off here).

Box has been quiet, and probably fan even less. I find this very acceptable and fine.

Maybe a little more knowledge on its developer community, as personally i would like to test a beta XBMC compile out, but i am having no luck finding the GPL and release code for the versions already compiled and released? maybe someone can help?

I only have a throughput of 90MB/s here during 2-3GB large files using ethernet Gbit cabling, but i suspect my Gbit switch to be one reason for the less throughput, havent spent time on investigating, and im happy as it is right now.
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

concretely what is your request in this topic ?
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
DisCuster

Post by DisCuster »

I completely agree. I bought a 604t and finally concluded that ADM is so pathetic and badly designed that I had to sell the damn thing and go back to Synology. I only came on here to see if they were planning any much needed updated. But apparently not.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

I owned AS-604T and AS-304T, one at home and one in office for over 1 year. ADM is the first user interface which I like so much for its simplicity and the way it present. No fussy, it is straightforward. I do not need the duplicate overview or the other stuff in the management interface. I can now easily find the functions I want or setting I want so easily with just 2 clicks away. I have Qnap, WD, Netgear before. I still feel the layout of ADM is the simplest to get around. On top of this, there are rsync and ftp backup for 2 NAS to each other which is crucial to me. Of course, using Aidownload at work for download is another one. The performance, value and the cost are the best choice for me.
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

The only change I'd like to see to ADM is the sizing of the icons on the dash. If I could resize them to 75% even I could probably have everything on one page. Otherwise it's very simple and clean.
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

Auberon2k wrote:The only change I'd like to see to ADM is the sizing of the icons on the dash. If I could resize them to 75% even I could probably have everything on one page. Otherwise it's very simple and clean.
good idea
in "feature requests" ?
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”