Cannot access User Homes Directory as User

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MicroZone
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Cannot access User Homes Directory as User

Post by MicroZone »

Good day.

When we create a new user and they are automatically added to the default user group, that user is unable to access the User Homes directory under the NAS Root.

Could you please advice me on how grant each user RW access to their own user folder located under User Homes?

Please note that the "Users Home" directory is enabled under the Shared Folders.

For clarity: We are using Windows Explorer to connect to the NAS and would like to access the "Users Home" for each individual user.

The "Users Home" directory is accessible when connecting as the admin user, or when a user account is added to the admin group.

When we however try and connect to the "Users Home" directory by using a non administrator account, the directory can not be accessed.

When we log into ADM with the NON administrator account, and go to file explorer, the "Users Home" directory is not visible within the ADM file explorer either. This leads me to believe that it is a permission or services issue on the "Users Home" folder.

Kind regards,
Thinus Jacobs
MicroZone
orion

Re: Cannot access User Homes Directory as User

Post by orion »

There are 2 related settings:
ADM web page -> Access Control -> Home
ADM web page -> Access Control -> User Homes

I think "User Homes" is used when you want to backup all of users' data by admin. "Home" means respective home directory for each user. You should un-check the box in "Disable file access to this shared folder" option.

Initially, I confused about "User Homes" and "Home". It's better to have tips in UI to understand "User Homes" is just for admin.
Pilloso

Post by Pilloso »

Are you shure that "User Homes" is just for admin?
I don't understand the reason why system should create automatically a personal folder for each user in this directory if reserved for admin only...
It seems that this function is similar to most NAS where creating a new user you automatically obtain his personal folder, but this is always accessible to his user.
But like the 3ad starter I am unable to grant access to users, it also seems stupid to create manually each folder for each user and bind it togather, because if User Homes is for admin only, means personal folders to be created manually when any NAS in the world does it automatically.
Also in this case the user guide is painful.
Pilloso

Post by Pilloso »

http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php? ... mes#p20738

Ok now it is clearer.
Each user sees only "home" as its own folder.
Admins sees "home users" to access individual folders for each user through a different path that allows to see all of them together, as users will always call "home".

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”