Folder Encryption issues

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
neil1454
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Folder Encryption issues

Post by neil1454 »

Hi,

I have a RAID 5 Array. And I'm trying to create a new folder with Encryption.
So I go to make the folder with the following info..

NAME: tester
DESCRIPTION: testing
DISK VOLUME: Volume 1
INVISIBLE IN NETWORK: UNTICKED.
ENCRYPT THIS SHARED FOLDER: TICKED
PASSWORD: g2183tr123
AUTO-MOUNT AT SYSTEM STARTUP: TICKED

Mentions that the folder will be inaccessible for a while.
The folder has a small red icon with a speech mark on it.

When I go to the logs to find out why the folder will not create with encryption. I get the following...
"06/10/2013 18:29","ERROR","admin","[Shared Folder] Failed to update profile for shared folder "tester". (Ref. -27)."
"06/10/2013 18:28","INFO","admin","[Shared Folder] New shared folder "tester" was added."

I'm able to creator folders without encryption just fine. The problem seems to be with encryption only.
Radioactive

Re: Folder Encryption issues

Post by Radioactive »

Mine is work well.

Folder info as below:
NAME: Encrypt
DESCRIPTION: Only for Bob
INVISIBLE IN NETWORK: unchecked
ENCRYPT THIS SHARED FOLDER: checked
PASSWORD: 12345678
AUTO-MOUNT AT SYSTEM STARTUP: checked

Then, I checked my log as below:
"10/07/2013 PM 03:16 admin [Shared Folder] The profile for shared folder "Encrypt" was updated.
"10/07/2013 PM 03:10 admin [Shared Folder] New shared folder "Encrypt" was added."

I provided my "NAS name/user name" (AS-604T-Bob/bob) for the account name and password.
If it still doesn't work, open a command prompt and type "net use /delete *" to clean the credential cache and try it again.

Hope it can help you~ ;)
neil1454

Post by neil1454 »

Radioactive wrote:Mine is work well.

Folder info as below:
NAME: Encrypt
DESCRIPTION: Only for Bob
INVISIBLE IN NETWORK: unchecked
ENCRYPT THIS SHARED FOLDER: checked
PASSWORD: 12345678
AUTO-MOUNT AT SYSTEM STARTUP: checked

Then, I checked my log as below:
"10/07/2013 PM 03:16 admin [Shared Folder] The profile for shared folder "Encrypt" was updated.
"10/07/2013 PM 03:10 admin [Shared Folder] New shared folder "Encrypt" was added."

I provided my "NAS name/user name" (AS-604T-Bob/bob) for the account name and password.
If it still doesn't work, open a command prompt and type "net use /delete *" to clean the credential cache and try it again.

Hope it can help you~ ;)
Hi,

I'm very new to the Asustor 608t.
When you say open the commend prompt...... do you mean on windows 8 or on the nas?
If you mean the nas, where can I do this?
And what does the command do? It won't wipe my passwords will it for other configured items/addons?

thank you
neil1454

Post by neil1454 »

I found command prompt and I went ahead and run the command.

But there is no difference to the issue I have.
neil1454

Post by neil1454 »

I got a reply from the tech support team and this is what they had to say.... Providing the info here to help other people too.

Thank you for contacting with us!
the problem you encountered is an known issue which cause by the limitation of ext4 file system that the max. file system size is 16TB
when users attempt to create a encrypted share folder, ASUSTOR NAS actually create an sparse file have the same size as the entire volume,
which is why you cannot encrypt your folder when you have your volume about 28TB.

we are now planning to release a new ADM version in m/Oct., and this version will include the solution of this issue.
but this solution still have limitation that an encrypted folder cannot larger than 16TB,
so if you have files over than 16TB in the folder you would like to encrypt, please separate them into 2 folders.
and you'll be able to encrypt them after ADM update.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concern,
thank you!

Best Regards,
Elsa Lau

Techinical Support Engineer
Asustor Inc.

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”