Temperature and Auto Fan mode

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
beccsjb
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Temperature and Auto Fan mode

Post by beccsjb »

G'day,

Is anyone aware of the ability to have more control over the temp of the 606? Im aware there are low, med and high fan controls however this isnt ideal for hot or cold weather. ie over heating or things running too cold.

My issue is that i believe on the auto fan setting the hdd temps are too high, i have drives sitting at 44 degrees c, i dont like my drives going on 40c as i believe this shortens their life drastically.

Naturally as a short term measure i have changed from auto to medium fan which has the drives sit between 30 - 35c depending on the drives slot location. It would seem bay 1 is the coolest and bay 6 is the warmest, with a 5 degree difference between the range.

So my question is, with the auto setting, does this run off a set temp that would be changeable through ssh?

My comms room is cooled with 2 split systems, both running, 1 as redundancy. The issue i have is if there is a power outage and the cooling shuts down having a fan setting on medium may not be enough if the room temp creeps over 19c (set point)
Kerry

Re: Temperature and Auto Fan mode

Post by Kerry »

I have tried with this for several times: Put a hair dryer and heat up the hard drives....This is what I found:

Even you set at medium speed, if the temperature goes up too high (CPU, Hdd etc), the fan rotation will still go up to cool it down.
robait

Post by robait »

I agree, the temperatures are too high.

I've just bought an Asustor AS-606T (Fw: 2.02.R922) with 6x4TB WD Red/NAS drives in RAID5.

With the fan speed setting on auto the fan never increases above about 580RPM even when the HDs' temperatures reach 53c. This is too hot. I've set the fan speed on medium which spins the fan at about 1330RPM, and the drives remain at about 40c. Does the auto setting monitor the HDs' temperatures or only the CPU's?

Is it possible for Asustor to provide the user with control over the fan speed when set on auto? I'd like to be able to set a maximum temperature for both the CPU and the hottest HD (which ever is reached first) before the fan's speed starts to increase.

Thanks.
beccsjb

Post by beccsjb »

Totally agree with you. You might be onto something. The asustor may actually be using the system temperature rather than checking all three and having parameters to maintain cpu, system and hdd temperatures below dangerous levels. My comms room is air conditioned running at 19dec and the box still over heats my HDD. My concern is with fan setting on medium, is this enough if temperature rises, it may need to increase to high fan speed.

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”