New Asustor AS-608T NAS Unit Questions?

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

JonathanF
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

New Asustor AS-608T NAS Unit Questions?

Post by JonathanF »

I just purchased a new Asustor AS-608T NAS Unit.
I updated the NAS unit with an approved 2 GB Memory Card.
I also installed Eight New Western Digital WD30EFRX Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drives.
The NAS Unit Is Connected With Two CAT7 Networking Cables To A Cisco Small Business SG 200-08 Gigabyte Smart Switch.
The Cisco Smart Switch is setup to use the 802.3ad Network Protocol.
I Downloaded the latest software.
I Configured and Setup the NAS unit for RAID 6 which allows for Six Drives For Storage and For Two Spare Drives For Parity And Striping.
I also setup Networking Link Aggregation for the 802.3ad setup.

Here are my questions.
The Storage Manager Configuration Software shows Seven of the Eight Drives Status Good, Smart Status Are Healthy, And One Drive Status Is Inactive and Smart Status Is Risky.
It also shows that the Status Of The Raid 6 is Degraded with the Data Protection Good With Faulty Disk Allowed is 1.
It also shows that the Inactive Drive is Smart Status is Risky.
Is The Eight Drive Definitely Defective?
Should I Just Send Back The Defective Drive And Replace It?
How Are The Eight Drive Bays Numbered On The AS-608T NAS Unit?
Are the Drives Bays numbered 1 to 8 across or down?
I need to know which of the Drive Bays Correspond To The Defective Eight Drive Bay.
Also on the Networking The NAS networking keeps on reverting back to the Round Robin Setting Even Though I Keep Setting It To The 802.3ad Networking Setup.
Does anyone have any ideas why this keeps on happening?
Thank You.
Jonathan S. Feingold
E-Mail: JSF413@Optimum.Net

:?:
feejai

Re: New Asustor AS-608T NAS Unit Questions?

Post by feejai »

Inactive Disk Issue:

I am having a similar issue with a RAID 5 volume here, in that I have one disc that recently went 'inactive'. Something I should have also asked fellow member "Folorin", what disk number are you having the issue with (mine is showing disk 4)? Just wondering perhaps if this is a hardware failure on a certain drive bay or if this is a software related issue.
Last edited by feejai on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
feejai

Post by feejai »

Drive Bay Order:

I also agree that the documentation should show the drive order of the units. I just quickly went through the user guide and quick start and didn't see the map of the drives listed. I'm pretty sure that on the AS-608T, the drive numbers are 1 to 4 on the left from top to bottom and 5 to 8 on the right from top to bottom. Hopefully someone from Asustor can confirm:

Drive 1 Drive 5
Drive 2 Drive 6
Drive 3 Drive 7
Drive 4 Drive 8
Folorin

Post by Folorin »

Just for the record, mine was also disk 4 in Physical Bay 5 I think. Coincidence I think.

All working now though *cross fingers*
feejai

Post by feejai »

802.3ad Networking Setup:

I had similiar issues trying to set up the Asustor with 802.3ad networking. From all the documentation I read, you must ensure that you configure your switch ports first with 802.3ad BEFORE configuring the Asustor NAS. I wasn't successful getting it set up on my Asustor either, after a half a dozen times trying to configure it, I eventually just gave up (for now :)).
feejai

Post by feejai »

Interesting, not sure what you mean by Physical Bay 5 though. My 'inactive' disk 4, is what I believe it to be in bay 4. Oh I get it now, lol, guess it depends on when you added the disk/set up the volume in what disk was selected. Will be interesting to see what JonathanF reports, if it is also showing disk 4 as inactive).
Folorin wrote:Just for the record, mine was also disk 4 in Physical Bay 5 I think. Coincidence I think.

All working now though *cross fingers*
Steve@AST

Post by Steve@AST »

Hi feejai,

Your description is correct, below is the figure of the disk order of AS-608T,
we will also think about how to let user get the information of disk order easier.
Attachments
AS-608T disk order
AS-608T disk order
order.png (187.25 KiB) Viewed 9248 times
ASUSTOR AS-602T
MacBook Air
iPhone 4s, New iPad, iPod nano

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”