Notification Not Working?

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
feejai
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Notification Not Working?

Post by feejai »

Might actually be a bad disk after all. I did an extended scan of the drive with the utility from the manufacturer of the drive and it came back stating too many bad blocks on disk. I've insert a spare drive and the array is now rebuilding.

Maybe something Asustor can take from this example is perhaps a better explanation of why a disk may go 'inactive'. If the system detected a bad drive/bad blocks etc., I would expect that the server would be able to provide a more descriptive error message. Not to mention making the drive light go yellow or red indicating an error visually as well.

It seems since the OS upgrades, that I am now receiving many notifications from the server. Still not sure about the volume being degraded, but it did send me a message indicating a drive was removed (still should send a message indicating error with a volume). Hopefully, I'll never have to receive a message like this, but it would be good to know right away if there is a issue with a volume.
WALL-E@AST wrote:Hi feejai,

Just pm you the information that I need.
please check it.

cheers,

Wall-E
Steve@AST

Post by Steve@AST »

Hi feejai,

Thank you for the information, but regarding the disk re-sync issue when you pull out the disk and put it back,
I didn't explain clear steps before, please allow me to show the correct steps.

1. When you pull out the disk, first you need to wait the Storage Manager display status of the disk in "missing"
2. After the status change to "missing", put the disk back

About the status "Inactive" does not mean the disk is broken, it's a indication to point out which disk drop out of RAID volume.
that's why you didn't see any change on HDD LED indicator .
we will put more information to describe this kind of situation in the future(I hope no one will see this kind of information 8-) )

cheers,

Wall-E
Attachments
Disk missing.png
Disk missing.png (45.2 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
ASUSTOR AS-602T
MacBook Air
iPhone 4s, New iPad, iPod nano
feejai

Post by feejai »

Hi Wall-E...

That's exactly what I did. They system did show the drive missing before I tried putting it back in. I guess my concern is the 'inactive' vs 'a bad drive'. So perhaps the drive went 'inactive' BEFORE it went bad, maybe why the status didn't change. Either way, inserting the drive that had the bad blocks on it would only ever say 'inactive', it never tried once to re-build. After inserting a new drive, only then did it instantly start doing a rebuild.

Just curious, shouldn't an 'inactive' disk, if the system detects this, not show a differnt drive color though? All i'm trying to get at here is that even if 'yellow', it would be a visualy indicator that it's not working/attached etc., instead of simply staying green.

I can say though that the notifications in terms of drives being removed, status of after the rebuild was completed etc., is working properly.

Thanks you.
WALL-E@AST wrote:Hi feejai,

Thank you for the information, but regarding the disk re-sync issue when you pull out the disk and put it back,
I didn't explain clear steps before, please allow me to show the correct steps.

1. When you pull out the disk, first you need to wait the Storage Manager display status of the disk in "missing"
2. After the status change to "missing", put the disk back

About the status "Inactive" does not mean the disk is broken, it's a indication to point out which disk drop out of RAID volume.
that's why you didn't see any change on HDD LED indicator .
we will put more information to describe this kind of situation in the future(I hope no one will see this kind of information 8-) )

cheers,

Wall-E

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”