Can't add Drive

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ja3
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Can't add Drive

Post by ja3 »

Maybe there's something simple that I'm missing, but I can't figure out how to add a drive. I'm running RAID 0, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have placed the drive in the unit and it shows up, but inactive. Unders Storage Manager, Management/Spare Drive/Remove are all greyed out. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance-
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (53.76 KiB) Viewed 8120 times
Steve@AST

Re: Can't add Drive

Post by Steve@AST »

Hi ja3,

RAID 0 don't have data protection, thus you can't add a HDD/ expand the RAID volume,
here is RAID level which support add HDD

RAID level support add HDD: RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10*

but this is a good question that we can think about to provide "introduction to RAID management" in our ASUSTOR college

* Quantity of add HDDs can only be even number

Cheers,

Wall-E
ASUSTOR AS-602T
MacBook Air
iPhone 4s, New iPad, iPod nano
ja3

Post by ja3 »

OK, thanks for the response. FWIW, I would think a lot of people would want to maximize their storage by using RAID 0. Being locked into the first config without ever being able to change or add drives is a big deal. I'm moving over from the home server world, where technologies such as Drive Extender, Storage Spaces, Drive Bender, etc. all allow this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, it's a total deal-killer to me and I will be returning my unit. It's too bad, as I was thrilled with it otherwise.
James.S@AST

Post by James.S@AST »

Hi Ja,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
Base on our currently solution, if you want to add more drive into a NAS with Raid0 system, you can create a new volume for those drives.
And thanks for the info of server world technologies, we will see what we can do to improve this.

Many thanks,
I dream of painting and then I paint my dream.

Storage: AS-604T
Network: Belkin N1 Wireless/F5D8231
Laptop: ASUS Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
Media Player: HP NC6000& Wii & ASUSTOR NAS with Boxee App
Portable: HTC EVO 3D& The New iPad
Pierro

Post by Pierro »

Hi James,

I have a little question, i'm in the same situation than Ja and i'm would like to have more information about creating a second volume with several disks. If my first volume is full, would i be able to add more more content in my media folder? the content will be automatically inserted in my second volume?

thanks in advance
flanker

Post by flanker »

Hello asustor,
please reply to this thread, I am in the same boat, I have created a new volume2 with addition disk , but do not know how to make it visible/mapped in file explorer
flanker

Post by flanker »

please check this thread in the same forum,, it may help you on this topic

"adding more HD to asustor 608t "

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”