Built in Web Browser

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
TheDave1022
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Built in Web Browser

Post by TheDave1022 »

Is it possible to get a basic web browser built into the OS? This way if remote management into the NAS, I can get to places with the web browser? It doesnt need to support flash or anything fancy.
Steve@AST

Re: Built in Web Browser

Post by Steve@AST »

Hi TheDave1022,

Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm a little confused
If you already have remote access to the NAS through a browser, why you need a extra browser which built-in the ADM? :shock:
could you please describe this in more detail?

cheers,

Wall-E
ASUSTOR AS-602T
MacBook Air
iPhone 4s, New iPad, iPod nano
TheDave1022

Post by TheDave1022 »

Would come in handy if I am say connected into my NAS from work, and want to pull up a web page inside my own network. I could load a browser on my NAS.

David
Qnap

Post by Qnap »

You could try to install a vpn like Tailscale on the nas in the app centre
billsargent

Post by billsargent »

I wanted this too. A mini browser inside ADM for downloading things straight to the nas from a web page. But I don't think this is possible. One of the biggest reasons I think is lack of documentation on app development in the first place. There is hardly no information on the developer site on how to actually create GUI applications. It would be more advantageous to try to get an Xwindows server running on the NAS and set up VNC or xrdp. You could then get a browser working in that.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

billsargent wrote:I wanted this too. A mini browser inside ADM for downloading things straight to the nas from a web page. But I don't think this is possible. One of the biggest reasons I think is lack of documentation on app development in the first place. There is hardly no information on the developer site on how to actually create GUI applications. It would be more advantageous to try to get an Xwindows server running on the NAS and set up VNC or xrdp. You could then get a browser working in that.
There's several ways to do this. One of it is running desktop environment from docker.

Another powerful way is Asustor Linux Center (a.k.a. LXC). Install from the App Central, open and install the Debian 10 Desktop, then in it, install anything you desire like a chromium browser or modify anything in the container. I can't remember but think there's already a default browser installed, Mozilla Firefox. Made a mistake messing up the installation? Just reset the container.

I've modified mine to run as a privileged Ubuntu Desktop and made it accessible via the web browser (HTTPS reverse proxy), VNC, Windows Remote Desktop (with audio) and of course the HDMI output to the living room TV as a media center for web browsing, watching videos etc.

AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”