5.x kernel

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
billsargent
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

5.x kernel

Post by billsargent »

Are we ever going to get a newer ADM For the older models with a 5.x kernel?

3.12.20 is pretty old. ZFS support would also be nice. It's hard to believe this hasn't been added already to all the NASes in the asustor line.

If I had a place to store my data, I'd install TrueNAS or something. We really need a newer kernel and a few more features. The old NAS like mine, AS-604T is still capable.
Nazar78

Re: 5.x kernel

Post by Nazar78 »

Think it's pretty standard to get major updates for few years, then only followed by security updates, similar to handheld devices nowadays.

You could however, albeit challenging, try to update the kernel, initramfs etc in the DOM using the released GPL, not sure about the proprietary modules though I don't have your model which needs more exploring. Or another option is to always boot off from a USB using other OS like TrueNAS.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
billsargent

Re: 5.x kernel

Post by billsargent »

Nazar78 wrote:Think it's pretty standard to get major updates for few years, then only followed by security updates, similar to handheld devices nowadays.

You could however, albeit challenging, try to update the kernel, initramfs etc in the DOM using the released GPL, not sure about the proprietary modules though I don't have your model which needs more exploring. Or another option is to always boot off from a USB using other OS like TrueNAS.
Wish I had an extra one to play around with. Since it's intel based, and has a UEFI BIOS, putting something like TrueNAS on it would solve the issue. Also updating the kernel would be something I'd likely play around with. I love the hardware. Being a bit more standardized and x86_64, it would likely be easy to pretty much do whatever you wanted. Even install Windows. (Not that I would).

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”