Volumes not showing up after system update - Disks Inactive

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

barfastic
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Volumes not showing up after system update - Disks Inactive

Post by barfastic »

Hello, so my 606T was stuck and couldn't update, so I followed the steps and removed all hard drives, entered an another, and re initialised the device so that it could update.

After all the updates, I shut it down and reinstalled my 2 volumes (2x Raid 5 - one for temp data (4TB) and one for storage (8TB)) but none of them are showing up as actual volumes - I thought I had to recreate the volumes but it turns out I formated one of the 3 drives in my temp storage, which is fine, I didn't really have anything on it but I have no idea have to reinstate the raid volume now. I thought it would recognize them automatically.... and now I'm afraid all my data has been lost.

Based on this article - https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... c=343#sm11 - I thought it would be plug and play but it doesn't look like that.

Can anyone help, I would be devastated if my data has been lost.

Regards,

Mike
barfastic

Re: Volumes not showing up after system update - Disks Inactive

Post by barfastic »

FIXED:

So I read somewhere that sometimes you need to put the hard drives back in EXACTLY the same slots - so I made a cup of coffee and tried every possible combination... Nothing worked.

For some absurd reason, I decided to remove the newly "initialized" volume, and enter only the old drives and it worked! Raid volumes showed up, all my apps, etc... I don't know if it also happened to be the correct sequence of drives because I never labeled them before removing but at this point who cares!

So, if anyone has the same issue, I am writing out some clearer instructions below in case anyone has an issue updating to the latest ADM and needs to re-initialize.

HOW TO EASILY UPDATE ASUSTOR ADM AND RE-INITIALIZE ORIGINAL RAID DISK VOLUMES

1. Shut down NAS
2. Remove all hard drives (NOTE: Before removing, make note of your HDD positions and label them accordingly so you can remember in what order they were)
3. Insert an empty drive into the 1st slot of the NAS (this is just so the NAS can initialize - Any data on this drive WILL BE DELETED - so use something that is either empty or has data you don't really care about) (NOTE: Insert only this 1 drive)
4. Power on NAS
5. Enter admin panel via PC and follow instructions on the screen to re-initialize
6. Once complete Enter the Admin panel via your PC and Update to the latest Firmware
7. Once updated, shut down your NAS
8. Remove the single HDD you inserted
9. Insert all previous Drives (NOTE: This is where the note in Step 2 comes in handy - Asustor Claims that you can insert them in any order, but I cant verify that it will work, so just do the prep work and save yourself the hassle)
10: Power on NAS

Your volumes should be there, as well as all apps.

Hope this helps someone out and saves them the trial and error and stress I had for almost a week thinking I lost all my data.

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”