Upgrade from AS-606T

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

iain_c
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Upgrade from AS-606T

Post by iain_c »

Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I visited the forum so actually 'hello again'.

I'm hoping someone can advise me how to upgrade my AS-606T to a newer device.

I have a 606T configured as RAID 6 which is now almost maxed out. There are 6 x 3TB drives and I have about 1TB of free storage left. It's mainly used for backing up films/movies so I can clear my living room shelves of poly-boxes. I'm about half way through that activity so 1TB will not do. There are also plenty of raw photo files and my iTunes library plus some classical FLAC files.
I have also had issues with running Plex server on the 606T. The TV collection renders very well (very happy with it) but the film/movie library is messed up in Plex. It opens up the mkv files and spills the contents. Most of the files are named as in the IMDB and stored in folders named as recommended by Plex so I suspect the Atom CPU in the 606T is maybe not powerful enough. Perhaps someone out there knows differently though?

Anyway, what I would ideally like as a replacement is:
  • NAS with 6+ bays
    i5/i7 or Xeon CPU
    support for hard drives 16TB or more
    HDMI2.1 output (for streaming 4K/8K HDR movies in years to come)
    support for ADM and RAID 6 so I can just move my current discs to the new NAS
That's a big ask however and I don't see anything which fits that bill.

Is there a way to downgrade to a NAS with fewer bays with bigger discs?

The AS-7110T looks like one (expensive) option but also looks a bit like overkill and I can't tell how to stream 4K/8K/HDR with hi-def audio from it as there is no HDMI port. Unless it can output HDMI over one of those USB3.2 outputs? (I find the latest standards for connectivity a bit confusing.)

Hello again and thanks for any advice.
orion

Re: Upgrade from AS-606T

Post by orion »

Wow, your requirement is quite good. But it's too good to find one.
You can only find AS71xxT for i5 or higher CPU, but no HDMI outputs. AS6604T / AS5304T owns only HDMI 2.0a (4K capable playback), but it's ATOM CPU.

You can extend volume size by replacing all of disks in your AS-606T. https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/Co ... ?topic=352
iain_c

Post by iain_c »

Thanks for the link Orion. I was told years ago when I bought the NAS that the biggest disk I could ever fit was 3TB . I see that is wrong and I can now fit 6 x 18TB disks. That would be fine for capacity but still leaves me with HDMI1.3 and that Atom CPU.

Wondering if I can transfer 4K HDR 60fps, hi-def audio soundtrack data and ordinary network data simultaneously over 10GBe ethernet?

Would either the USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 or 10GBe port on the back of the AS-7110T have a HDMI 2.x mode?

(I used to understand this stuff but it's all gone a bit crazy since I bought this NAS).
orion

Post by orion »

iain_c wrote:Thanks for the link Orion. I was told years ago when I bought the NAS that the biggest disk I could ever fit was 3TB . I see that is wrong and I can now fit 6 x 18TB disks. That would be fine for capacity but still leaves me with HDMI1.3 and that Atom CPU.

Wondering if I can transfer 4K HDR 60fps, hi-def audio soundtrack data and ordinary network data simultaneously over 10GBe ethernet?

Would either the USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 or 10GBe port on the back of the AS-7110T have a HDMI 2.x mode?

(I used to understand this stuff but it's all gone a bit crazy since I bought this NAS).
I would suggest you to check Roku ultra which is cheap. You can easily find it in amazon. It can support 4k video streaming (many video and audio formats) through network. And, as I know, it supports Plex player. It means that it can read all contents in your NAS Plex server. If there are new devices in the future to support 8k video, you can replace it (cheap) easily without impacting to your video data.

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”