Can't Map Drive On Other NAS Unit Using PuTTY

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

steamship
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Can't Map Drive On Other NAS Unit Using PuTTY

Post by steamship »

I'm trying to set up a mapped drive on my NAS, with the mapped drive being a share on another NAS unit. I've followed the instructions given in the following guide:

https://www.asustor.com/en/knowledge/de ... oup_id=615

but I'm falling down at step 7. Up to that point everything goes fine, but on step 7 I'm getting an error message in PuTTY stating "can't find volume1/Buffalo in /etc/fstab". I've double checked the IP address and both volume names and can't find where I'm going wrong. I also used the command format in the screenshot as there is a slight typo in the command just above (a missing space before the second volume name).

Volume labels are in the correct case and I'm in the root when executing the command.
Nazar78

Re: Can't Map Drive On Other NAS Unit Using PuTTY

Post by Nazar78 »

"can't find volume1/Buffalo in /etc/fstab"
Definitely a typo in the command as it's trying to find this local mount point in the fstab instead of NFS. Show us the commands here.

The simplest way to mount is as below, take note the colon as it'll determine if it's local or remote.

Code: Select all

mount <NAS2-HOST-OR-IP>:/path /mnt
You can use below on the 1st server to find the exports of the 2nd server.

showmount -e <NAS2-HOST-OR-IP>
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
steamship

Post by steamship »

Using the guide linked to, here is what I have:

NAS1: 192.168.1.160
Asustor NAS: 192.168.1.110

Point 2: Created a shared folder named 'Buffalo' with exact same settings as guide

Point 5: The folder on the first NAS is named 'share' (top level)

Point 6: The Buffalo NAS SSH has to be enabled via a dedicated program called 'ACP Commander' which can be found here: https://dl.advanxer.com/stuff/NAS/ as they don't give an option for it in their menu. The program confirms it is enabled

Point 7: Once I have root access I entered the following command:

mount -t nfs 192.168.1.160:/volume1/share /volume1/Buffalo
It then gives me the error message mentioned previously.

Going back to point 6, I would have thought that if the SSH didn't get enabled, then on executing the command in point 7 I would have got an error message about not having access to the first NAS.

NOTE: I've just tried using PuTTY to connect to the Buffalo NAS and it gives me a 'Connection refused' message.

Asustor NOTE: I decided to try the command you listed and when I went to the root I spotted a message I never noticed last night. It says 'sudo: /etc/environment: No such file or directory'. When I run your command I'm getting 'mount: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused' as well as 'mount: mounting 192.168.1.160:/share on /mnt failed: Bad file descriptor'. That would seem to confirm the message I get on trying to access the Buffalo NAS and that the SSH isn't being enabled after all.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

From your replies it's clear that NFS isn't running on the Buffalo NAS1. It doesn't require SSH for this unless you need to edit some settings but NFS needs to be running and configured mounts exported on the Buffalo NAS. I'm not sure about your Buffalo NAS but I can definitely mount exports from other Linux NFS servers to my Asustor vice versa.

If NFS is not an option on your Buffalo NAS then you can try CIFS.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
steamship

Post by steamship »

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately I'm not clued up enough with this sort of thing to delve any deeper into it without possibly bricking one of the NAS units.

I'll put up a post on the Buffalo forums to see if anyone can provide more help from the Buffalo side of things.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

No problem. You just need to figure out if your Buffalo NAS supports NFS and how to enable it. But I'm very sure it does support CIFS which you'll commonly map as a drive on to any Windows OS. On ADM you can easily do this from the Access Control -> Shared Folders -> CIFS Folder tab then mount your Buffalo CIFS paths which is similar to

mount -o username=foo,password=bar //192.168.1.160/share /volume1/Buffalo
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”