AS-609R Degraded RAID5 Volume after replacing HDD

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

kiwiguy1967
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS-609R Degraded RAID5 Volume after replacing HDD

Post by kiwiguy1967 »

I've been successfully operating my AS-609R (with 8 x 3TB HDD in a RAID 5 array) for over 18 months with no problems, however a couple of days ago I experienced bad data performance when accessing the NAS.

I checked the Asustor Storage Manager and saw that HDD #4 was stated as "Missing". I shut the NAS down (didn't want to risk further potential damage) and removed the offending Seagate 3TB HDD to check in on a PC. Sure enough the HDD was dead.

So I replaced the HDD with another Seagate 3TB HDD and switched the NAS back on. The RAID5 Volume proceeded detect the new drive and stated that it was Rebuilding. The rebuild was very slow and took all night. When I checked it in the morning though, the RAID 5 Volume states "Degraded" and HDD #4 is listed as "Good (Spare Drive)".

Th System Information LOG shows that "[Volume] Volume 1 is degraded with 0 faulty disk(s)."

How do I incorporate HDD #4 into the RAID5 array?

I'm really hoping that somebody here can help me out with this.
orion

Re: AS-609R Degraded RAID5 Volume after replacing HDD

Post by orion »

Did you upgrade ADM version to the latest one? The status must be abnormal. I would recommend you to send a support request to asustor directly. https://support.asustor.com/

And, on the other hand, you can remove the HDD #4 when NAS is working (not turn it off), then put the disk back to NAS again. It should re-build your volume again. However I'm not sure if NAS still treat it as spare disk or not.

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”