Slow write speeds

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

thor
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Slow write speeds

Post by thor »

Not sure this is the correct forum...

I have an ASUSTOR AS1004T with 2 HGST Desktar NAS 4 TB in a RAID 0. Everything works, but when I copy files TO the NAS through the network I only get about 2.5 MB/s. My network is gigabit all they way from the NAS to the router including cables. To my computer I'm running on a 5 GHz 802.11n which. When copying files through the network to and from anything else I get about 25 MB/s as long as the NAS is not involved. When I copy files FROM the NAS I also get about 25 MB/s.
If I copy files from a USB device that's is attached to the NAS to the NAS I get much better speeds, the USB device is the bottleneck in that case.
I've tried both Samba and FTP with the same speeds.

What is wrong?
orion

Re: Slow write speeds

Post by orion »

If I were you, I'll check the speed when computer is connected to your router using a cable (gigabit). It's better to use a big file copy to find the bottleneck.
thor

Post by thor »

My Macbook Pro doesn't have a cable. But I actually think I found the problem. In Windows on my Mac I only get about 2.5 MB/s in upload for some reason. Gonna try to upload to the NAS from MacOS and see if it helps.
thor

Post by thor »

I was right, in macOS I get much better speeds (as good as my wifi can handle). And I've also been able to test with a cable and then I get about 35 MB/s. Bad wifi drivers in Windows is probably the cause. Case closed.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”