PrePrep a spare drive?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

SPOinNS
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

PrePrep a spare drive?

Post by SPOinNS »

I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a spare HDD on hand for the inevitable failure of one of the 4TB WD Red's that fully populate my AS-204TE. Throw in a good boxing day sale and the need for a few odds 'n ends and a new spare is on it's way.

This raises a practical question. I would like to check the new drive for defects before I register it's warranty. In all likelihood the new drive will be kept in it's box until needed to replace a failed drive. I'd hate to find out at the last minute that the new drive has problems. Is it possible to run a Bad Block scan on the new drive using a HDD dock connected to the NAS'es USB port?

I currently run a short version SMART scan weekly and a Bad Block scan monthly. That schedule satisfies my worry threshold but I'd be interested in what others consider best practice for a 4 disk, RAID 5, home use NAS used primarily for media and backups from 3 computers.

This question is primarily about hardware practices and not really about backups for backups strategies. I think the FreeNAS folks call this 'preclearing' a drive meant as a spare.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all!
Antonios

Re: PrePrep a spare drive?

Post by Antonios »

Man you can pre-clear or whatever the drive as much as you like. If it was mine, I would just stick it in a computer and use it for all sorts of normal operations like local backups and such for like a month or so.

BUT, If Murphy's law applies, then the day you're gonna actually need this drive to work in the NAS, it won't even spin up.

Just my 2c.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”