Testing NAS NIC - SEVERE performance issues

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Rainz
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Testing NAS NIC - SEVERE performance issues

Post by Rainz »

NAS: AS-606T
SysInfo:
ADM: 3.0.3 RAI4
BIOS:1.09

I am looking in to troubleshooting a performance issue involving filetransfer to and from the NAS and a Windows 2012 Essentials server.

The NAS may not be the issue, but the specific error I receive from the software I use for the transfers is
121 - The semaphore timeout period has expired
The software support have an article about this, referring me to:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... rkstations
but I fail to see how I can do some of the troubleshooting on the NAS NIC following those instructions.

The connection to the NAS is being dropped and reestablished several times per minute. It's connected as a Network Drive to the NAS Share and I have enabled all possible settings in regards to creating a persistent connection in Windows, Registry tweaks and CMD settings like NET USE *** /PERSISTENT:YES and even a couple of registry tweaks to that effect, which is probably just the same thing.

Suggestions?

(Had the NAS for years and I had little or no issues with it prior to this)
Rainz

Re: Testing NAS NIC - SEVERE performance issues

Post by Rainz »

I am not getting any transfer speed between my Server and the Nas.

Not yet blaming the NAS, but browsing the shared NAS file structure from my Server 2012 essenstials is proving a nightmare and I may have to resort to carrying USB drives between them for a working backup.
orion

Post by orion »

I did not own a environment with Server 2012 essentials. I think you should check with asustor's support for this environment.
Rainz

Post by Rainz »

I thought I was?
orion

Post by orion »

Rainz wrote:I thought I was?
I mean here: https://support.asustor.com/
Rainz

Post by Rainz »

Sent...
Rainz

Post by Rainz »

After some digging on the Internet I found issues with SMB on Server 2012.

Examining the SMBClient Event log, and related, I found a HUGE amount of errors associated to connection interrupts with NAS shares. Having the Event ID I could search some more and there were two possible actions one could take for remedy:
I have tried both remedies above and they did not help a lot, maybe fewer disconnects/timeouts, but still many per minute...

Finally I have checked the SMB versioning for any possible conflicts, and AGAIN I lack tools to thoroughly check what is on my ASUSTOR NAS, but your SMB version refers to 3 and Windows 8 in your settings and SMB signing is set to Default. Well, Windows 2012 should be version 3.0 (not 3.01 or above) so I will assume it may be the same on both ends, NAS and Server.
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block
Which is it for ASUSTOR?
Rainz

Post by Rainz »

This was due to and issue with SMB in the latter ADM's and has now been corrected by Asustor...

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”