4K playpack problem

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

jarkko69
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

4K playpack problem

Post by jarkko69 »

Hi, i have a problem with 4K playback. normal 4K files are hacking, sound is poor and overall performance sucks :( Anybody knows solution? I have changed HDMI kabel but no result. I have a brand new LG 65" 4K tv.
Player i use is KODI 17.3

Thanks for help
MikeG.6.5

Re: 4K playpack problem

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Which model of NAS are you running the content on? What codecs are used to encode the video and audio?

4K is extremely CPU intensive, and the really high bitrate stuff even more so. Not all devices can play back H265 so this requires a transcode. I have the 7004T model and it's got the most powerful CPU of the whole line. And I wouldn't try 4K content even if I had a TV that can use it.
jarkko69

Post by jarkko69 »

Hi, I have 3102T, so perhaps it is not possible to play 4K material :( I am newbie with asustor nas, which codecs should i try?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Take a peak at my signature links. There is one about Auto-converting scripts. This one takes any media file in any codec EXCEPT H265 and convert it to H264, AAC Stereo and AC3 5.1/7.1 if there is one in the original. This packages it up into an MP4 and strips all of the subtitles out, making a smaller file, and one that should play.

Media files are media files. To manipulate them, you need the hardware to handle it. Without the hardware, you need to do the conversions before you try to play/stream it. Since your HW isn't really capable of handling RT conversions, this needs to be done BEFORE. Period! Regardless of the media suite you are using, it still comes down to the hardware.

Those conversion scripts were modified by a member of the Plex community. and then further modified by myself to make them work on the Asustor platform. Many users have downloaded them, and I have set them up on other machines than Asustor as well. They work, and can even be set up to operate automatically. (I have a post or two here about doing that, too.)

The bottom line is pretty simple. To make sure your experience is the best you can make it, you need to maximize the potential of your hardware and media.

BTW, I run Plex Media Server on my 7004T and also run @father.mande's Plex Media Player on the same device. It runs FLAWLESSLY at even 1080p 20Mbps+ bitrates. I haven't looked at Kodi at all (And won't.) because Plex allows me to stream to ANY device on my network that has a client device/app. Or any device on the internet that I care to install client apps on, anywhere in the world. (I was in Alaska streaming media locally as my mother and GF were streaming remotely at the same time in Western Washington. So yeah, I know it works.)

I've been running Plex for over 3 years, and on several different Asustor models. If I could get it to work, I did. And the codecs and container were part of the process I had to make changes to make it work on the least capable Asustor model ever made. (The AS-202T) That machine ran for a year, before I decided it was time to get serious.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”