Possible to expand number if drive bays?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
dkobelak
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Possible to expand number if drive bays?

Post by dkobelak »

Just curious if it is at all possible to expand drive bays by connecting another asustor NAS together or if asustor carries a drive bay expansion unit?
AS-5104T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 4x3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300;BIOS: v1.21 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
AS-6204T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 3x8TB Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN0022;BIOS: v2.23 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
MikeG.6.5

Re: Possible to expand number if drive bays?

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I have several external enclosures that use USB 3.0. These are all separate volumes and not part of the main volume for obvious reasons. On most units you can also use eSATA for external enclosures, but I haven't tried this on my 7004T. Supposedly Asustor has been researching expansion units that the ADM can use to manage the volumes more effectively than what we have now. (Build a raid on the unit, expand or manage the raid, etc.) I understand they were almost ready for the release several months ago, but I haven't seen any of them on either the website or other places yet.

You can't have a Raid array span internal and external bays. (If the externals aren't connected, for whatever reason, the entire Raid fails. The obvious reason I mentioned above.)

You can mount the drives of another NAS to a main NAS, but these would be their own volume, again, for obvious reasons.

One of my external enclosures is a 5 bay Raid 5 USB3.0/eSATA box. It's the Orico 9559, and ran about $150 when I first bought it. It supposedly can only see 3TB drives. I haven't tried anything larger in it yet.
dkobelak

Re: Possible to expand number if drive bays?

Post by dkobelak »

thanks for the info.. it would be really interesting to know when/if asustor will ever release an expansion to control from within ADM...
AS-5104T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 4x3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300;BIOS: v1.21 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
AS-6204T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 3x8TB Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN0022;BIOS: v2.23 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”