AS-204T RAM Upgrade

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
thecyberfreek
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS-204T RAM Upgrade

Post by thecyberfreek »

Hi,

I recently purchased an AS-204T NAS (which as 512Mb of RAM) and I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM.

Would anyone know the maximum amount of RAM that this model supports, also, I suppose, whether the RAM can actually be upgraded.

Thanks in advance.
MikeG.6.5

Re: AS-204T RAM Upgrade

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I have the same model of NAS, It supports 512MB of ram and only that. You can't upgrade this model at all.
thecyberfreek

Post by thecyberfreek »

Yikes!! That sucks!!

I was on a budget when I got this NAS! Suppose that's the price I got to pay now!

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it!! You saved me some $$s as I found a 2Gb Asustor RAM module on eBay and was on the verge of buying it (before someone else snatched it up) and then trying to see whether I could upgrade the RAM :)
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

This model is just a NAS. You can install the same apps that you find on the bigger models, but it's really easy to fill available memory, and bog down the CPU on it. Remember, the CPU that is in this model is little better than a cell phone's CPU, so the power it has isn't much. (It scores in at about 200 passmarks, where the i3-4330 CPU in the 7004T model scores in at 5065 passmarks.)

It works well as a file server, but don't expect it to do much more than that.
thecyberfreek

Post by thecyberfreek »

Thanks for the details.

Yeah, I mostly use it as a file server only. I do all my work on the local machine and then copy it over to the NAS for storage. My primary need was to get rid of the 4/5 USB HDDs I used to keep my stuff in. I got tired with having to juggle with multiple drives whenever I wanted to find something. So, the NAS is mostly a file store for me where I can have all my stuff in one place. Suppose I'm not that concerned about the speed of the unit (at least, for the time being). What I do is once I'm done editing the stuff (RAW image and video files) on my local machine, I let them copy over to the NAS, and not a whole lot bothered if this takes a bit of time.

I also run a media server from the NAS and so far had no issues streaming 1080p content (via wifi) to all my devices.

I have around 8TB (4 x 3tb) on RAID5 at the moment. Suppose, I'll start looking for options to upgrade when I get close to filling this up. Or, if it gets really slow before that.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

When I used my 202T as a Plex Media Server, I had to figure out how to minimize transcoding, which was an adventure all it's own. See the links in my signature for the things I found along the way.

But I also encountered a strange thing I haven't had issues with on the 7004T. Plex wasn't able to display correctly, when I had about 1000 media items in a given library. And if I had more than one library, it also caused problems with displaying the media pages, or icons/posters, etc. What I found was the DB used up so much memory that the NAS was struggling to make and send the pages dynamically. (Another reason I went to the much more capable 7004T.)

Now I have never tried Kodi or XBMC on that box, so they might have different results.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”