5010t HW upgrades/mods

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
muad_dib77
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

5010t HW upgrades/mods

Post by muad_dib77 »

Hiya,

I've just gotten a rather nice deal on a 5010t unit - as it's not arriving for another couple of weeks I'm wondering if there are any HW upgrades I ought to do to bring it as up to date as it can get?

Thanks.
MikeG.6.5

Re: 5010t HW upgrades/mods

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I would say you want to get the memory upgraded to the max of 8GB. Look here for more info: http://download.asustor.com/download/do ... 1481333656. More memory, more room for more apps to use. Including caching the files to speed up transfers. (2x4GB sticks is probably the cheapest way to upgrade.)

Next, check to make sure you have a router/switch that supports Link Aggregation, and enable it on both devices to give you a full 2Gbps as this model has 4x1Gb network cards in it. This is a huge pipeline and makes moving data a lot faster. You might not need it right now, but you are going to love it when you do need it....

Next thought, buy the drive space you need now X 1.5, so you have room to grow without having to add more right away. Get the largest NAS compatible drives you can get, and think long and hard about which raid mode you want to use for redundancy. Raid 6 is likely to be the best bet. Look at 8TB or 10TB drives to make your array from. (More bang in the same size space.)

Use one drive (3-4TB) as the system drive (Volume 1) and make the arrays from other drives. If the system fails, you replace just that drive and your data should still be safe. Even if you lose a drive from the array, due to Raid 6, you have a much larger safety margin.

Heat is a killer of drives. Fact of the architecture of these devices. And this model of NAS has the potential for creating a LOT of heat. Plan on putting it someplace where you can maintain lower temperatures than the rest of the house/building. Having a room air conditioner may be a data saver, to drop the room temp by an additional 3-5 degrees under ambient building/house temps.

These are just some ideas, but this is how I would go about doing it.

Edit: Another thought Install Father.Mande's excellent HX_Engine to get some added functionality that you won't get otherwise. If you intend to use your NAS as a HT, then Plex Media Player runs rather nicely on a NAS, and you can even download the Roku mobile app to control it, without needing to use a keyboard or mouse.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”