As6208T

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
bluewhale22
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

As6208T

Post by bluewhale22 »

Hello. I just purchased a Asustor AS6208T. I have 8 4TB WD Reds. Right now they are synchronizing. (Raid 6) While the unit is synching does the performance of the unit take a hit until its done? When I try to copy over a 3GB file it starts of fast 112MB/s but then goes to 0 byts/s and sits there for a while. This is with every video file i try to copy. The folder is mapped. Sometimes i get a 0x8007003B error code and have to hit try again. Its just sits there at 0 byts/s for a good 2 to 3 minutes. My network is fine as I have a Synology NAs and don't have any issues coping the same file to it.
sksbir

Re: As6208T

Post by sksbir »

hi
- you should say what kind of protocol you are using for your file transfert : ftp, smb, webdav, file explorer from ADM interface ?
- what credentials are you using ? admin or another account ? did you set quotas ?
- Give a try with an USB key or USB external disk : transfert one video on it, then connect USB device to NAS, and copy it on internal disks with file explorer from ADM.
bluewhale22

Post by bluewhale22 »

The folder is mapped so smb
Admin and didnt set any quotas
No havent tried an external disk

I tried using the file explorer withing ADM and adding the file that way but it is still very slow.

If my raid 6 is still building would that effect the speed?
orion

Post by orion »

This action should be impacted when RAID volume is building. But I'm not sure if it will result in idle for 2 to 3 minutes. I think you can try "copy" action again after 4 hours. If the action is working fine then, that should be the root cause (RAID is building up).

As far as I know, the default setting to build RAID volume is somehow slow. You can try to speed it up: http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3499
bluewhale22

Post by bluewhale22 »

I just switched cables and so far that seems to have fixed it. I was using the cables that came with the Nas(5e) and switched to cat7 cables I had.
bluewhale22

Post by bluewhale22 »

Spoke too soon. Still happens just not as much. Will try it again when I get home from work. By then the build should be done.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

- What about testing with FTP ( and filezilla client on windows side ) ?
- the network path between your NAS and your PC is only wired ? no wifi in the path ?
- Did you check that your HDD are listed in hardware compatibility list ?
bluewhale22

Post by bluewhale22 »

Hard drives are on the compatibility list, connection is wired. So far so good. I dont get the pauses once the raid was finished building.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Need to think about what is happening when you try to move files as the raid is building...

First off, building the raid means the system is making sure every bit on one disk is "aligned" with the same bits on the other disks in the array. This takes a lot of disk activity, as well as CPU time to work on. If you go to the System Information app in the ADM you will see that the CPU has a fairly high amount of usage going on.

Next, you are trying to move data to the drives while this activity is taking place. Data can't be moved to the disks for sections that aren't "aligned" yet, so if you are copying faster than the array can be built, you are going to get a lot of problems with transfers slowing down.

As you saw, once the raid is completed, transfers start going along full tilt. This is exactly as one would expect, knowing how the system builds an array. If you upgrade drives in your system at a later date, you can expect to see the same type of thing happening. Or if you lose a drive and need to replace it with a new one. All of the reading and writing across the drives is going to lower transfer rates until it's done. There literally is no way to speed this up, until the activity is done.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”