Migrate Synology disks to an Asustor unit?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

jjones
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Migrate Synology disks to an Asustor unit?

Post by jjones »

I know this is a long shot, but thought I would ask anyway.

I am considering the purchase of an AS6204T (4-bay). I currently have a Synology 412+ (4 WD Red disks) in RAID 5.

Is it possible to remove the disks from the Synology unit and place them into the Asustor and have the Asustor setup/configure, yet keep all the data on the disks? I was trying to avoid the step of copying ALL THAT DATA from the Synology to another drive/cloud/something-else-big-enough, and then copying it all back again to the Asustor.

As a side note, I see a lot of complaints on these forums about support. Having been on the receiving end of Synology support (or lack thereof), I can tell you that Asustor is likely BETTER at support than Synology. The one time I asked Synology for support, it was abysmal, and technically incorrect! I finally fixed the issue myself. I've seen enough posts here to suggest I would get better, active support from Asustor.

As for ADM, I've tried the Asustor Demo and it is much more responsive than my latest/greatest local-network Synology (DSM), and the Asustor is across the web! Frankly, they look quite similar. I use my NAS for simple mass-storage, Plex Media Server, and Surveillance, but Synology's Surveillance Package is slow (and is now useless because of browser-compatibility), and I only have one camera!

I need a Surveillance Package that works, and it appears Asustor fits the bill. With the advent of Windows 10, the Synology Surveillance Package is ONLY compatible with the older Internet Explorer (no Edge, Firefox, or Chrome as they no longer support the required plug-in), and there is no package update in sight. That equates to "No Support" from Synology in my book!
orion

Re: Migrate Synology disks to an Asustor unit?

Post by orion »

jjones wrote:I know this is a long shot, but thought I would ask anyway.

I am considering the purchase of an AS6204T (4-bay). I currently have a Synology 412+ (4 WD Red disks) in RAID 5.

Is it possible to remove the disks from the Synology unit and place them into the Asustor and have the Asustor setup/configure, yet keep all the data on the disks? I was trying to avoid the step of copying ALL THAT DATA from the Synology to another drive/cloud/something-else-big-enough, and then copying it all back again to the Asustor.

As a side note, I see a lot of complaints on these forums about support. Having been on the receiving end of Synology support (or lack thereof), I can tell you that Asustor is likely BETTER at support than Synology. The one time I asked Synology for support, it was abysmal, and technically incorrect! I finally fixed the issue myself. I've seen enough posts here to suggest I would get better, active support from Asustor.

As for ADM, I've tried the Asustor Demo and it is much more responsive than my latest/greatest local-network Synology (DSM), and the Asustor is across the web! Frankly, they look quite similar. I use my NAS for simple mass-storage, Plex Media Server, and Surveillance, but Synology's Surveillance Package is slow (and is now useless because of browser-compatibility), and I only have one camera!

I need a Surveillance Package that works, and it appears Asustor fits the bill. With the advent of Windows 10, the Synology Surveillance Package is ONLY compatible with the older Internet Explorer (no Edge, Firefox, or Chrome as they no longer support the required plug-in), and there is no package update in sight. That equates to "No Support" from Synology in my book!
I believe AS6204T is a good choice. However I don't think you can migrate disks on Synology NAS to Asustor NAS. Both vendors put proprietary partitions on disks.

I used to discuss issues with Asustor support guys. I'm quite satisfied with their supports, pretty fast. There are indeed some guys here in this forum that encountered certain complaints about support. Those are not my cases (I guess I'm pretty lucky). If you concerned your usage cases on AS6204T, I think you can simply write a support request to asustor first to clarify those cases (for example, your camera model, ...).
jjones

Re: Migrate Synology disks to an Asustor unit?

Post by jjones »

Thank you for your reply. I guess I'll have to stick my head in the "clouds".

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”