Can this Nas run plex?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

BeanR
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Can this Nas run plex?

Post by BeanR »

Hey

Atm I have a 604T. Sometimes my plex streamning is lagging/buffering.
So I think to upgrade the nas. I have been looking at 6204, is that good enough or any suggestions?
orion

Re: Can this Nas run plex?

Post by orion »

I believe that is a good choice. CPU on AS6204T is N3160 which performance record is 2.x more than AS-604T. Video engine is more powerful too.
BeanR

Post by BeanR »

orion wrote:I believe that is a good choice. CPU on AS6204T is N3160 which performance record is 2.x more than AS-604T. Video engine is more powerful too.
Thank you for the replay. Can I chance my hdd from the old to the New just like that or do I need to format my drives?
orion

Post by orion »

BeanR wrote: Thank you for the replay. Can I chance my hdd from the old to the New just like that or do I need to format my drives?
Yes, you can simply move the disks on AS-604T to new AS6204T (in power off state). After power on, your data should be ready immediately. However you might need to check App Central under ADM web page to see if you need to update applications.
BeanR

Post by BeanR »

orion wrote:
BeanR wrote: Thank you for the replay. Can I chance my hdd from the old to the New just like that or do I need to format my drives?
Yes, you can simply move the disks on AS-604T to new AS6204T (in power off state). After power on, your data should be ready immediately. However you might need to check App Central under ADM web page to see if you need to update applications.
Thanks. I think I will buy it soon, and you are sure it can handle plex 720p streaming to chromecast ?
orion

Post by orion »

BeanR wrote: Thanks. I think I will buy it soon, and you are sure it can handle plex 720p streaming to chromecast ?
I don't own AS6204T. I think you can send a support request to asustor to check if the usage case is all right or not.
BeanR

Post by BeanR »

Do you know anything about if I change a HDD WD RED 4TB to a WD RED 8TB that it will work when I have raid 5 ?
If it work I can make more space in time on my nas.
orion

Post by orion »

BeanR wrote:Do you know anything about if I change a HDD WD RED 4TB to a WD RED 8TB that it will work when I have raid 5 ?
If it work I can make more space in time on my nas.
Yes, you can expand your RAID-5 volume size by replacing to larger disk one by one. However it will take long time to complete the job. For example, your RAID-5 volume is made by disk-1, disk-2 and disk-3. Before you start, it's better to do disk scan to make sure there are no bad sectors on those 3 old disks. After done, you can remove disk-1 and put a larger new disk into NAS (NAS is in power on state). NAS should do rebuilding RAID task automatically. Wait for the task done. Repeat the action for disk-2. Then disk-3. After done, you should go to ADM storage manager to expand the volume size.

If you know how to execute linux command, you can speed up the process: http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8156
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Looking at the specs of the 620x model of NAS you will find it has the Intel Celeron N3150 chip for a CPU.

This chip has a passmark score of 1700+ (info here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... 40+1.60GHz) which according to Plex' requirements (1500 passmarks/stream at 720p) should be enough to handle Transcode streams to a Chromecast as long as the media itself isn't over 720p. If you do everything you can to maximize the Direct Play potential, you may be able to get by with 1080p Direct Play streams. You will find, though, that doing things on the NAS will also affect the results. File copying, downloading, remixing, etc. are each going to take a toll on system resources. This toll may produce unwanted buffering on the client if the server isn't able to transcode a stream at 1.0:1 or greater.

Ideally you want to make sure you have the media in as Direct Playable of a condition as possible, prior to streaming it, regardless of the client you intend to stream to. As all of Plex's clients are generally able to Direct Play X264 or H264 video and AAC stereo audio out of an MP4 container, this is the most common denominator. And it's the container I put all of my media into, regardless of the sources I get them from. In my signature you will find a link to conversion scripts used to convert files/codecs over from what ever container they are in, into an MP4, and ensuring they are in H264, with an AAC stereo audio track in the first audio track location.

If I recall correctly, the Chromecast can only support certain codecs and containers. MKV (a pretty commonly downloaded container) is not one of them. These will almost assuredly need to be remuxed before you attempt to stream them or you will have to live with the buffering as your NAS tries to cope with it. It may have difficulties with AVI, MOV and other containers as well. As I don't have a Chromecast (nor any of my current users) all I can do is try to remember what I've read on the Plex Forums.

In my signature you are going to see a number of links to Plex related posts I have made, both on this forum and on Plex's forums. All of these posts are about maximizing Plex Media Server on the Asustor platform. I recently had a system crash (catastrophic!) and have had to redo a lot of the system disks. All of the media I had on external devices survived, but I lost a lot of the extraneous files I had. Including the conversion scripts I had ready to FTP for people. I've remade the files for my OWN use, but haven't made a ready to FTP version yet. It's on my "to do list" still.

You will also see a post regarding CPU comparisons of various Asustor models. There are a few missing, as they weren't manufactured, or even thought of, when I made the original post. Asustor only makes one "model" of NAS with enough power to handle 1080p transcoding consistently. That is the 70xx series. As this model has an i3 CPU in it, with over 5K passmarks, it's got the power to handle a couple of 1080p streams or more 720p streams. BUT, I was successfully Direct Playing from my under-powered 202T for almost a year, because I made sure the media was Direct Playable prior to putting it in Plex... As long as I didn't try to force that little NAS to transcode, it handled everything perfectly fine!

HTH, and if you have questions, ask away.

Mike G.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”