AS5002T Timeout Issues

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
Boatman
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS5002T Timeout Issues

Post by Boatman »

I just setup an AS5002T with two Hitachi Deckstar 3TB drives in RAID 1 and set it up on my home network of three computers and other media devices. However, going through the process of loading my previous WD MybookLive data onto this drive it continues to time out before any of the batch copying is completed ( about one hour of copying is successful at a time). I have set the Energy saver modes to NEVER go into Energy Saver Mode but it still times out. Moving the mouse on the computer from which I did the original install will wake it up but it takes 30 to 40 seconds to fully come online. Also, when the unit sits idle for a while other computers on the network can not "wake it up". they just report Windows error that the path is not found or something tho the effect that the unit is offline.
I want to be able to use this as I did with my WD MyboolLive as an always available server and if it goes off line that will not do. Is this NAS not meant to be used as a central always available hard drive but only a back-up drive accessible through the APPS.
Is there a parameter that needs to be set on the drives themselves to turn off power management?
sksbir

Re: AS5002T Timeout Issues

Post by sksbir »

hi,

did you check hardware compatibility of your drives ? Take a look here, and check that your hitachi HDD are presents : http://www.asustor.com/service/compatibility

How did you transfer data from your old disk to the NAS ?
orion

Post by orion »

NAS should be available when you need it. Sounds tricky? Actually no. If you turned off energy saving function (like you said), NAS should be always ready.

If you need to wake NAS up by a mouse click on a PC (takes about 30-40 seconds), it should mean that you enable "Disk Hibernation" feature (it's enabled by default). You can disable it: ADM web page -> Settings -> Hardware -> Energy Control -> Disk Hibernation. You should select "Never".

If your other PCs cannot access NAS, there should be something wrong on those PCs. Your information is quite limited. It's hard to say what's wrong. It's better that you can post the failed screen shots here. Your NAS IP, PC IP, is the login name on the failed PC the same as the working PC?

Regarding to copy failure, how do you copy data from WD MybookLive data to your asustor NAS? Which services? samba, ftp, or others?
Boatman

Post by Boatman »

They are not on the compatibility list. Hitachi 3TB drives. I used a couple of methods to move the data: Copy/Paste in Windows Explorer and also Xcopy command from a Command Prompt. Both worked but still had timeout issues.
Boatman

Post by Boatman »

The other PC's can see the drives and read/writte to it when it is not sleeping. But if they need to access the drive they can not wake it up.

The Hibernate and sleep modes were turned off during initial setup and rechecked several times. Could the drives be ignoring the Asustor commands and hibernating on their own? I tend to not think so as the power light on the unit which is under the Asustor's control goes through what would be expected for it controlling a regular hibernate or sleep. If it was the drives the lights and fan would stay on and the drives be non-responsive - but that is not the case - it just seems to go into a regular sleep/hibernate which other PC's on network can not wake up.
orion

Post by orion »

Boatman wrote:The other PC's can see the drives and read/writte to it when it is not sleeping. But if they need to access the drive they can not wake it up.

The Hibernate and sleep modes were turned off during initial setup and rechecked several times. Could the drives be ignoring the Asustor commands and hibernating on their own? I tend to not think so as the power light on the unit which is under the Asustor's control goes through what would be expected for it controlling a regular hibernate or sleep. If it was the drives the lights and fan would stay on and the drives be non-responsive - but that is not the case - it just seems to go into a regular sleep/hibernate which other PC's on network can not wake up.
Sounds really weird and unusual. I think you should send a support request to asustor to check it. http://support.asustor.com/
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

You should give a try with FTP ( filezilla on windows client side, and FTP server enabled on NAS side )

Good luck with your ticket. has disks are not in compatibility list, you must plan to change them. This is what I had to do, take a look here
Boatman

Post by Boatman »

Ok. Now I have to decide if I want to dump the Asustor and get annew enclosure or buy new HDs on the list. Inclined to get new enclosure see how it performs and then consider getting new HDs for this unit and use it elsewhere.
Thanks All
Boatman

Post by Boatman »

Ok I bit the bullet and purchased two more hard drives on the compatibility list - but same issue. Whenever I am actively sitting at the keyboard and typing something the Asustor stays lit up and functioning but as soon as I set to perform some function like run a batch command to copy files and folders - everything goes along fine but then comes to a stop when the 5002T shuts off (not fully Off but what appears to be Sleep or hibernate mode). Whenever I am actively at the computer all of the front panel lights are on and the HDD lights are constantly flickering even though I am not writing or reading to the drives themselves. It must not be something to do with inactivity because executing a batch command such as xcopy to move some of the files and folders from my Original Drive to the 5002T there would never be any time that inactivity would arise - data is constantly being moved. Granted no keyboard activity has necessarily been going on but the drive is fully active.
Then the command prompt xcopy stops with a message that the destination no longer exists. Essentially the 5002t has shut down in the middle of the transfer.

If I go to one of the other computers on the LAN and initiate some data transfer all goes well as long as I am typing on the computer from which I did the original install and setup. The other computers will not "wake up" the NAS but I must go back to the first computer and use the keyboard to "wake up" the NAS.

Any ideas?
orion

Post by orion »

I think the fastest way to contact to asustor support guy because it sounds really weird. I usually get their feedback within 1-2 days.

Anyway I'm quite curious about this "weird" issue. Can you collect information below?
  • What's the HDD LEDs state after "xcopy" task stopped. Flickering busy, flickering once per 5 seconds, steady green, off?
  • Can you post the command output on both PCs (PC-1 is you installed NAS, PC-2 is the one cannot wake up NAS)? In command prompt window, execute "net use".
  • What's the online user (ADM web page -> System Information -> Online User) when you work on PC-2? I mean you can go to the page after you failed to wake up NAS.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”