Asustor Official Remote Control not working?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
stigdu
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Asustor Official Remote Control not working?

Post by stigdu »

I've got an Asustor AS-5002T NAS and one of their official remote controls, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything. None of the button presses are navigating the ASUSTOR Portal screen... it has 2 fresh AAA batteries in it, which I've tested in another remote control and are fine.

Do I have to do some sort of 'pairing' first?

Thanks in advance.
orion

Re: Asustor Official Remote Control not working?

Post by orion »

Did you install "Remote Center" under ADM web -> App Central?
stigdu

Post by stigdu »

Yes, it's installed.
orion

Post by orion »

Oops, I would suggest to disable Remote Center and Asustor portal under AppCentral, then enable them again.
If it does not work, I think you should send a support request to asustor to check it http://support.asustor.com/. I got one remote long time ago, and it's working fine with my AS-304T.
stigdu

Post by stigdu »

Thanks orion, will try it out later.
crazynas

Post by crazynas »

Hi stigdu,
Do you upgrade FW?? If so , please re-enable Asustor portal & remote center app...
Tarl Cabot

Post by Tarl Cabot »

A cautionary tale for those considering the purchase of an Asustor Remote Control...

I enjoyed a similar problem with an inoperative Asustor Remote Control. I pulled it out of the junk drawer today whilst on a scavenger hunt for batteries, and decided to pop in here and post a note regarding my personal experiences with the device. The Remote was still able to power-up my 5102T, and navigate the Asustor Portal effectively, but I don't recall it ever having the ability to actually power-down the NAS independently. If it ever did, it no longer does now. And of course, unless you don't mind a mouse pointer that moves in jerky, super slow-mo, it remains frustratingly unusable for ADM navigation to this day. If you can spare the few extra bucks in price difference, a wireless mouse/keyboard combo are decidedly more usable, and thus a much better value overall.

My larger issue was that the Asustor Remote Control had quit working with Kodi several months ago - which is the main reason it ended up in said junk drawer. In the process of exhausting all troubleshooting efforts, including a fresh Kodi install, I happened to run across the free official Kodi Remote app. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It works much better than any hardware remote ever could. Had I discovered it sooner, I could have saved myself $25 to boot!

So, while this might be old news for many at this point, to the others I say, do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake. Stay clear of hardware remotes. Cheers! :)
AS-6302T with Crucial 8GB RAM Kit (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600 PC3-12800 1.35V CL11
2x4TB Western Digital NAS Red Plus - RAID-1
BIOS: v1.29 ADM: 3.5.2.RAG2 (Dec '20)
Asustor Remote - Logitech Wireless keyboard/mouse

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
orion

Post by orion »

Tarl Cabot wrote: ...
but I don't recall it ever having the ability to actually power-down the NAS independently. If it ever did, it no longer does now. And of course, unless you don't mind a mouse pointer that moves in jerky, super slow-mo, it remains frustratingly unusable for ADM navigation to this day. If you can spare the few extra bucks in price difference, a wireless mouse/keyboard combo are decidedly more usable, and thus a much better value overall.

My larger issue was that the Asustor Remote Control had quit working with Kodi several months ago - which is the main reason it ended up in said junk drawer. In the process of exhausting all troubleshooting efforts, including a fresh Kodi install, I happened to run across the free official Kodi Remote app. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It works much better than any hardware remote ever could. Had I discovered it sooner, I could have saved myself $25 to boot!
I can power my NAS down (or make it sleep) under Asustor Portal display. It will pop up a menu to ask me to select power action. Did you see the menu?
Personally I prefer hardware remote under XBMC. I can navigate menu without moving my eye from TV to remote. However, yes the mouse pointer movement is quite slow, I'll use Android App, AiRemote, to move mouse pointer when I'm using other Apps. (I don't need to move mouse pointer under XBMC. ;) )
Tarl Cabot

Post by Tarl Cabot »

orion wrote:
I can power my NAS down (or make it sleep) under Asustor Portal display. It will pop up a menu to ask me to select power action. Did you see the menu?
Personally I prefer hardware remote under XBMC. I can navigate menu without moving my eye from TV to remote. However, yes the mouse pointer movement is quite slow, I'll use Android App, AiRemote, to move mouse pointer when I'm using other Apps. (I don't need to move mouse pointer under XBMC. ;)
Yep, I'm aware of the Portal menu's power options. I was referring to someone's earlier musings about whether the hardware Remote had the ability to actually power-down the NAS independently, by itself, i.e., by pressing/holding the Remote's power button like one does to power-on the NAS, remotely. It does not.

I had tossed the hardware remote months ago and had been using a dedicated wireless mouse and keyboard for nearly everything NAS-related. However, after installing and testing AiRemote earlier today, the iOS version, I was pretty impressed, so much so that I actually took the time to write a 5-star review. I also left a note for its developers letting them know that for whatever reason, their app is showing up in the AppStore as an "iPhone Only" app. I'm not sure if they read user reviews, so if any Asustor peeps are reading this note, they might want to pass it on along. There's clearly an issue because a standard search on an iPad's AppStore app for "AiRemote" returns a "No Results Found," But if you toggle the binary switch to search for "iPhone" apps and rerun the search, then the AiRemote app is displayed. Strange. Not sure if it's an Apple bug, or a self-inflicted oops by Asustor marketing peeps...

Also, the official Kodi Remote app, at least the iOS version, is straight-up tough to beat for features, performance, usability, etc., You might want to take a peek at the Android version if you haven't lately. It's really quite remarkable. Free and ad-free to boot, just like AiRemote.

In any case, the point of my whole previous post was to give potential buyers of the hardware remote some objective user experiences, and cheaper alternatives available through soft remotes. At least my lesson only cost me $25 on Amazon. I see the current price for the hardware remote on Asustor's Store is $35?.... YIKES! :shock:
AS-6302T with Crucial 8GB RAM Kit (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600 PC3-12800 1.35V CL11
2x4TB Western Digital NAS Red Plus - RAID-1
BIOS: v1.29 ADM: 3.5.2.RAG2 (Dec '20)
Asustor Remote - Logitech Wireless keyboard/mouse

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
crazynas

Post by crazynas »

Hi
You also can buy remote control on locally store. I think it cheaper.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”